09 Mar 6 Ways God Delivered Abram
When we see someone successful = get discouraged until we look at where they started.
God delivered Abram from a bad father
Genesis 11:28 Haran died in the presence of his father Terah in the land of his kindred, in Ur of the Chaldeans.
God delivered Abram from a bad culture
Nehemiah 9:7 You are the Lord, the God who chose Abram and brought him out of Ur of the Chaldeans and gave him the name Abraham.
God delivered Abram from a bad cult
Joshua 24:2 Joshua said to all the people, “Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel, ‘Long ago, your fathers lived beyond the Euphrates, Terah, the father of Abraham and of Nahor; and they served other gods.
Acts 7:2-3 The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran, and said to him, ‘Go out from your land and from your kindred and go into the land that I will show you.’
- wanted to make a great nation & make their name great
- God chose 1 Babylonian to make a great nation & great name from
God delivered Abram from a bad marriage problem
Genesis 11:30 Sarai was barren; she had no child.
- Sarai means “princess” = was barren and beautiful
- His name means “father” = every day is a painful reminder
God delivered Abram from a bad death
Genesis 12:4 Abram went, as the Lord had told him…Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran.
Abram delivered Abram from a bad legacy
Genesis 12:1 Now the Lord said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you.
- Abram was told to leave everyone and everything for a God he’d just met
= For good to start, Bad must end!
- In history, some men loom larger than others
- Patriarch = a man who is a father/head of a people and example to them
- These men are exceedingly important to history
- Among these men is Abram (exalted father)/Abraham (father of a multitude)
- 3 religions trace their history to this man (Islam, Judaism, Christianity)
- In Genesis he is born end of 11, and looms large through his death in 25
- His sons, Isaac, Jacob, Judah then loom large as patriarchs descended from him
- His name appears over 300 times in Bible, 11 NT books including each gospel
- Heroes of faith in Hebrews 11 generally 1 verse each person, Moses 6, Abraham 12
= God spoke, he trusted God internally (faith) & externally (obedience.
Discussion & Prayer
- What has God delivered you from?
- How can we pray for you?