22 Jun 8 Laws of Relationships | Real Relationships
- Discuss all of our past, present, future sources for relationships
#1. The law of hospitality
Proverbs 18:24 A man who has friends must himself be friendly…
- friendly toward all, friends few (Mary, Martha, Lazarus)
- Kids liked Jesus & ran to him
- Lost people liked Jesus & invited him to parties
- Religious people did not like Jesus (non-relational)
#2. The law of capacity
Proverbs 18:24 [ESV] A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
- finite humanity (Jesus did not heal or meet w/everyone)
- Jesus took sabbaths, naps, breaks, withdrew from crowds to be alone
#3. The law of priority
Matthew 6:33 seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness
Exodus 20:5 I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God,
- 5,000, 120, 12, 3 (jealousy)
#4. The law of seasonality
Ecclesiastes 3:1,5b For everything there is a season… a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing…
?Jesus’ Egyptian friends? ?Jesus’ childhood friends?
#5. The law of safety
Proverbs 11:13 A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret.
Proverbs 16:17 The path of the virtuous leads away from evil; whoever follows that path is safe.
Love all, trust few. Love is free, trust is earned.
#6. The law of clarity
John 13:27 Satan entered into him [Judas]. Jesus said to him, “What you are going to do, do quickly.”
John 21:15-17 Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me…” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.”
- Transition talks (Peter) 2. Closure Conversation (Judas)
HARDEST A. Family? B. People who pivot poorly
#7. The law of idolize-demonize
Matthew 21:9 crowds…were shouting, “Hosanna to the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! Hosanna in the highest!”
Luke 23:21 they kept shouting, “Crucify, crucify him!”
#8. The law of economy
Proverbs 25:17 Don’t visit your neighbors too often, or you will wear out your welcome.
- 4 chevy trucks, 2 sub, 2 wranglers, 1 cherokee,1 landcr; Peter John
- Is there anyone coming between you and your spouse having a healthy marriage?
- Which of these laws has been the most disagreed about in your marriage?
- Which of these laws is most urgent to help you reset unhealthy relationships?
- Who do you need to have a conversation with to set healthy relational boundaries?