- Romans 5:3-5 Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.Suffering
spiritual, mental, emotional, financial, relational, public, physical, personal, empathetic
=A Christian in the Spirit can rejoice in the middle, not just at the end
More suffering = more Spirit
- 1st mention Holy Spirit since 1:4, 20X in Rom. 8
- Principles vs POWER!
- Supernatural Power
Jesus models a personal/powerful relationship with the Holy Spirit
Apostles (4th Cen) – “born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified…”
Nicene (4th Century) – “was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, and was made man, and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate…”
Life & the struggle? Go to heaven when you die?
Jesus’ in Luke
- Elizabeth & Zech “filled w/the HS”, John “filled w/the HS, from his mother’s womb”
- Mary conceived “The Holy Spirit will come upon you.”, “Christ” – anointed HS
- Isaiah 61:1–2 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me…”
- “full of the Holy Spirit,” “led by the Spirit,” “in the power of the Spirit”, “rejoiced in the HS”
- Baptism – 2/4 Gospels “HS remained”
- Supernatural Character
- If it happens, it is because you are now ready.
- God does not cause all that you suffer, but uses all that you suffer.
- Suffering shifts our focus from what we have, to who we become.
- Suffering is a school where we learn about Christ and become like Christ .
- Supernatural Love
People Become Like Their View of God
- Church of England 39 Articles & Westminster Confession of faith
- God is “without body, parts, or passions.”
- Greek view of God – if He has emotions we can effect Him
- Tried to preserve God’s immutability – unchanging
- God not emotional or relational = non-emotional non-relational Christian men
Jesus Is Emotional
Very little written outside Bible
60 emotions in gospels
- Jesus teaching appeals to our emotions (parables)
- Jesus wants us to love God with all our hearts
- Jesus sense humor (30X) “preposterous exaggeration” – plank/speck; camel eye needle
- Jesus emotions include – rejoicing & anger, joy & sorrow, gladness & grief, peace & distress, disappointment & amazement, love, #1 compassion
- Jesus emotions increase toward His cross
- Jesus is a perfect emotional life
- Not positive & negative emotions but flesh & spirit expressions of emotions
- God commands you to have dominion over your emotions
If the Spirit pours love in you, then love will pour out of you when suffering
Luke 11:13 the heavenly Father [will] give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
- What is your life struggle right now?
- What is your life blessing right now?
- How is God pouring out His love to you?
- How can we pray for you?