12 Jan Bringing Blessing
We live in a world increasingly rude, critical, & negative
- Leadership sets the culture
- Defined: “life-giving power”
= a grace, usually not deserved. Not earned
God Our Father Blesses
Genesis 1:22 God [animals] blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.”
Genesis 1:28 God blessed them [people]. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
- 400X in the Bible. Over 80X in Genesis which is the most of any Bible book
- God’s blessing = His presence, children, possessions, long life, friends, and the ability to persevere and prevail.
- Curse/curses – response to sin and includes separation from the blessing and the Blesser, and judgments such as famine, oppression, and exile.
Genesis ends with Joseph being cursed by family, blessed by God to bless everyone
Promises are that God will bless Abraham & family to bring Jesus as a blessing to nations
- Who does God bless?
= God blesses His Word (a place not a people)
A good dad cannot reward good behavior. He can forgive it, but not reward it.
- How does God bless you?
- Directly – miracle
- Means of grace – through someone so that they are also blessed
- How can you bless others how God blesses you?
2 Ways to Bless
- Bringing good – providing what someone needs when they need it
- Taking bad – burden givers & burden lifters
- Words – encouraging, thanking, coaching, praying
- Service – practical help
- Generosity –
- Ministry of Presence –
Discussion and Prayer
Who or what was your biggest blessing last year?
Who needs your blessing, and how can you bless them this year?
-Next week – A Conversation w/Andy Gould. Former AZ Supreme Court justice running for AG