1 Peter 2:9-12 – But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy. Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.
In a world filled with bad news that makes you discouraged, you need some good news that makes you encouraged. Just like God’s 10 Commandments, and David Letterman’s old late-night top 10 list, Peter has 10 encouragements for you:
- You are part of a chosen race that is God’s family made up of the nations of the earth!
- You are part of a royal priesthood set aside by God like the holiest leaders in the Old Testament and filled with the Spirit as God’s Temple for ministry!
- You are part of a holy nation of God’s people who are forgiven, made clean, and ensured a perfect eternity free from sin!
- You are a people for his possession that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him so that you have a reason for joy and good news to share with others to meet Jesus Christ!
- You were called…out of darkness into his marvelous light so that the dark, disgusting, and discouraging parts of your past are not who you are or what your future holds!
- Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people having been chosen by God to be on Team Jesus!
- You once had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy from God who is patient with you, loving with you, and devoted toward you!
- You are part of God’s beloved family and loved every day like a bride on her wedding day, or a child on their birthday!
- You are part of a people who are sojourners and exiles which explains why this world doesn’t fit you, never feels like home, and explains why arriving in the Kingdom will be the most relieving and satisfying moment of your life!
- You can now abstain from the passions of the flesh which war against your soul and walk in victory over self-destructive patterns that war against your well-being.
Peter closes by reminding us that critics of Christianity will speak evil of you, and that is simply their way of testing if you really believe in the Jesus you confess. If you continue to live in the love God has for you, you will not only be ready to see Jesus, you will help others become Christians starting with friends and family who are watching your life to see if Christ works.
Which of these 10 things is most encouraging to you right now? Why?
To download the free e-book ODD LIFE: Good God which is a study in 1 Peter for individuals, groups, and families from Pastor Mark click HERE. To listen to Pastor Mark’s 9 sermons on 1 Peter preached in the summer of 2020, click HERE. These and other resources are made possible by our ministry partners who support Real Faith as a Bible teaching ministry of Mark Driscoll Ministries to whom we say THANK YOU!