03 Sep 25 Prophecies That Prove the Bible is True: Part 8
2 Peter 1:20-21 – …no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
As we conclude our study of 25 Old Testament prophecies that prove the Bible is true and that Jesus is God and Savior, today we consider where Jesus is today and what this means for us.
- 1000 B.C. – Jesus’ ascent into heaven.
- Psalm 68:18 – When you ascended on high, you led captives in your train.
- Fulfillment:“But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift. Therefore it says, ‘When he ascended on high he led a host of captives, and he gave gifts to men.’…He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things” (Ephesians 4:7–10)
- 1000 B.C. – Jesus seated at the Father’s right hand
- Psalm 110:1 – The LORD says to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.”
- Fulfillment:“He [God the Father] worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And he put all things under his feet…” (Ephesians 1:20-22)
In summary, we have learned four things about prophecy:
- No other religion has anything like biblical prophecy. The Christian Bible stands alone among all religions and spiritualities.
- Despite all our technological advancements, we have made no progress in predicting the future. The Bible alone perfectly predicts the future.
- The burden of proof means these 25 prophecies are a fraction of the prophecies from just 10 books of the Old Testament over the course of hundreds and thousands of years. If God is not involved, what is the better explanation?
- The rejection of prophecy is not mental, but moral (Romans 1:18). The evidence is clear, but some people just do not like being under the authority of God and commands of His Word.
In closing to this series of studies on Old Testament prophecy, Peter Stoner, Professor of Science at Westmont College addresses the odds of eight prophecies being fulfilled in his book “Science” saying:
Suppose that we take 1017 silver dollars and lay them on the face of Texas. They will cover all of the state two feet deep. Now mark one of these silver dollars and stir the whole mass thoroughly, all over the state. Blindfold a man and tell him that he can travel as far as he wishes, but he must pick up one silver dollar and say that this is the right one. What chance would he have of getting the right one? Just the same chance that the prophets would have had of writing these eight prophecies and having them all come true in any one man, from their day to the present time, providing they wrote using their own wisdom.
In summary, the Scriptures alone are the books that God wrote!
To download the free e-book Power Under Pressure which is a study in 2 Peter for individuals, groups, and families from Pastor Mark click HERE. To listen to Pastor Mark’s 4 sermons on 2 Peter preached in the summer of 2020, visit realfaith.com. These and other resources are made possible by our ministry partners who support Real Faith as a Bible teaching ministry of Mark Driscoll Ministries to whom we say THANK YOU!