John 3:16 – For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
This week as we celebrated Father’s Day, I decided to root the sermon in probably the most well-known passage of the Bible, John 3:16. You see it on bumper stickers, written in football players’ eye black, and on giant handwritten signs in the endzone or on the sidelines of almost any sporting event.
On Father’s Day, we give our earthly fathers gifts, so I thought it was important to look at the gift our Heavenly Father gave us, the greatest gift that’s ever been given – God the Son, Jesus Christ, sent to earth to live among us and be crucified, buried, and resurrected to ultimately save us from our sins.
To that end, this week, we looked at eight statements Jesus made about Himself. I’ll list them here and then we’ll take a deeper look at them over the next few days.
- Jesus Christ came down from Heaven – John 6:38,41-42
- Jesus Christ is more than just a good man – Mark 10:17-18
- Jesus Christ is perfect – John 8:46
- Jesus Christ is God – John 10:30-33
- Jesus Christ performs miracles – John 10:36b-39
- Jesus Christ forgives sins – Mark 2:5,7-8
- Jesus Christ conquers death – Mark 8:31
- Jesus Christ is the way, truth, and life – John 14:1-6
Read each of these passages of Scripture that accompany this list. Which one is the easiest to believe and which ones takes more faith to believe?