03 Apr 8 Things Got Daniel Through His Crisis and Will Get You Through This Crisis
Daniel 10:10-19 – And behold, a hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees. And he said to me, “O Daniel, man greatly loved…Fear not, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand and humbled yourself before your God, your words have been heard, and I have come because of your words…” [Daniel replied] “…now no strength remains in me, and no breath is left in me.” Again one having the appearance of a man touched me and strengthened me. And he said, “O man greatly loved, fear not, peace be with you; be strong and of good courage.” And as he spoke to me, I was strengthened…
A few months back, I began teaching verse-by-verse through the amazing Old Testament book of Daniel. In God’s perfect timing, the recent crisis that has the globe feeling overwhelmed, exhausted, and uncertain is precisely what Daniel experienced. In his example we learn the following eight things that got Daniel through his crisis and will get you through this crisis:
- Ministry of presence from God. God sent an angel to be present with Daniel as he was alone and sends the Holy Spirit to do the same for you. Even when alone, Christians are not isolated because God’s presence is with us.
- Being reminded he was “greatly loved” and his suffering was not personal. When our lives are hit with pain and trial, we can think it is personal. As Daniel experienced, his personal pain was not a personal penalty from God.
- A humble heart that prays is heard and responded to by God.
- A reminder to fear not. The most common command in the Bible is, in some form or fashion “fear not”.
- A strengthening touch from God brings peace and courage. Daniel saw a vision of what was coming to the world that he could not change or control. This left him restless and anxious. God did not change his external circumstances but touched him, which changed his internal circumstances. The same is true for you.
- A reminder of the reality of spiritual warfare in the world. Behind all the bad news Daniel received and we’ve been receiving is ultimately a lengthy battle between God and Satan that shows up in human death and destruction on the earth.
- A focus on the Kingdom of Jesus Christ and battle to get home. The entire storyline of Daniel was the fight for God’s people to worship God in the house of God until they could go to their eternal Home. Every day, our fight is to do the same – worship God until we see God.
- A reminder that God knows and rules all of human history. The prophecies fulfilled throughout Daniel are staggering as the same God who knows history also rules history and has it all under control, even when things seem to us to be out of control.
Which of these eight is most helpful to you right now?
In addition to this introduction to and overview of Daniel, you can find the corresponding sermons, daily devotions, men’s ministry resources, and hundreds of additional sermons and Bible teaching resources for free at markdriscoll.org or on the Mark Driscoll Ministries app.
To visit the Trinity Church in Scottsdale, Arizona, you can plan your visit at thetrinitychurch.com.