Hebrews 12:22-24 – …you have come to…Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.
As I was researching and studying for the sermon in Genesis 4 on the story of Cain and Abel, it occurred to me that there are many connections and correlations between Cain killing Abel and Jesus’ sacrificial life and death to save humanity.
Reading the story of Cain and Abel, it can be easy to get haughty and put ourselves into the place of Abel, as most of us will never physically murder another person. However, the truth is that we’re way more like Cain than we are Abel. By hating another person, we murder them in our hearts, and we commit other sins every single day that are also grievous to God.
Below is a list that I hope is helpful as you study and read Genesis 4 to show parallels between our Savior, Jesus Christ, and the story of Cain and Abel.
- Adam and Eve were kicked out of Eden into the wilderness. Jesus left Eden to enter the wilderness.
- God came as our big Brother, Jesus Christ. Jesus was innocent like Abel, and we killed Him like Cain.
- Cain was the firstborn in all creation. Jesus is the firstborn over all creation.
- Cain and Abel were sons of Adam. Jesus is the Son of God.
- Cain and Abel were in God’s presence. Because of Jesus, God put His presence in us.
- Cain was the unrighteous brother of the righteous Abel. We are the unrighteous brother of the righteous Jesus.
- Cain and Abel gave their sacrifice to God. Jesus is God sacrificing Himself for us.
- Cain killed the innocent Abel. We killed the innocent Jesus.
- Abel’s death was the first human death. Jesus’ resurrection was the first human defeat of death.
- Abel’s blood cried out from the ground for justice. Jesus rose from the bloody ground to bring justice.
- Sin conquered Cain. Jesus conquered sin.
- Cain was marked by God as His possession. Because of Jesus, the Holy Spirit marks us as God’s possession.
- In the days of Cain, people started calling on the name of the Lord. Today, we know that Jesus Christ is the name of the Lord.
- Cain built the first city named Enoch. Jesus is building the last city named the New Jerusalem.
When have you acted like Cain towards someone else that you can repent to? Thank God that He saves us from ourselves and gives us His righteousness to cover our unrighteousness.
To help you study the book of Genesis with us, we have the first of three free e-book study guides here.
To get daily devos sent texted to you Monday-Friday, text DEVOTIONS to 99383. Click here to find the sermon series that accompanies this devotional series.