Romans 5:12-14 – Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned— for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.
Original sin explains the problem under all the problems.
Our first father, Adam, chose Satan, sin and death for the entire human race. Whether we like it or not, we are born on Team Adam and doomed unless we are born again on Team Jesus.
People who do not believe in original sin have the utterly impossible task of trying to explain what is wrong with the world and how to make it right. If we are good people evolving and getter better, then why is the world filled with bad people and things keep getting worse? Original sin tells us the problem under all our problems which gets us going down the path of understanding where we discover Jesus, who is the solution to all our problems. Original sin explains:
- My personal problem under my problems. The reason you have pains, problems, and perils in your life is because you are fallen sinner in a broken world.
- Struggles with my family. Since ever family is part of the sinful and broken human family of Adam, this explains why family is the source of so much frustration.
- The first priority of parenting. Because a child is born with a sin nature, the first priority of parenting is to introduce the child to Jesus so they can get a new nature by the Holy Spirit so that the internal change in nature leads to external changes in behavior.
- Why systems and institutions always fail. Since every system is built by a broken sinner, every system is broken and eventually fails.
- Why history is not evolving. Since we are bad and getting worse, it makes sense that we are not having moral progress despite all our advancements in such things as technology and innovation. In fact, we seem to use our breakthroughs to drop more bombs, make more porn, and criticize more people than any time in human history.
- How gospel ministry is our only hope. If every human being is part of the problem, we need someone not from this world to come into this world and rescue us. His name is Jesus, and He makes us to be born again into a new family with a new destiny for all eternity.
How does original sin actually make sense of our life and world more than other secular theories of human nature and progress?
To find the free Romans study guide for individuals and small groups, hear Pastor Mark’s entire sermon series on Romans, or find a free mountain of Bible teaching visit realfaith.com or download the Real Faith app.