1 Peter 5:5-7 – Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
We all live on a spectrum from humble to proud. On the perfect end of humility is Jesus Christ. On the perfect end of pride is Satan. You and I, along with everyone else, live somewhere in between. When we seek to move in the direction of humility, God gives us grace and helps us. When we seek to move in the direction of pride, God opposes us, which is also out of His love to help us.
Though the author is debated, it has been rightly said that humility is not thinking less of yourself but thinking of yourself less. Also, humility lets God be the center of your life instead of you, and leaves room for others to stand next to you for hope and healing. The Bible talks about humility roughly nine hundred times because we so easily forget it – especially in our world where there are parades and hashtags for pride but seemingly none for humility. The following insights help frame pride versus humility biblically:
- Pride is Demonic. Humility is Godly.
- Pride pulls hell up. Humility invites heaven down.
- Pride is natural. Humility is supernatural.
- Pride is like a demon. Humility is the spirit that casts out that demon.
- Pride is how we war with God. Humility is how we worship God.
- Pride can humiliate you. Only you can humble you and requires humility.
- Pride is a destination. Humility is a direction.
- Pride is the cause for most relational problems. Humility is the cure for most relational problems.
In considering pride and humility, there are three kinds of relationships:
3 Kinds of Relationships
- Proud + Proud = a battle
- Proud + Humble = abuse
- Humble + Humble = a blessing
Which kind of person are you most of the time? Which kinds of relationships do you have with varying people and what would improve the ones that are a battle or abuse?
To download the free e-book ODD LIFE: Good God which is a study in 1 Peter for individuals, groups, and families from Pastor Mark click HERE. To listen to Pastor Mark’s 9 sermons on 1 Peter preached in the summer of 2020, click HERE. These and other resources are made possible by our ministry partners who support Real Faith as a Bible teaching ministry of Mark Driscoll Ministries to whom we say THANK YOU!