Genesis 26:4-5 – “…I will multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and will give to your offspring all these lands. And in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.”
Genesis 26:1-6 records the Lord appearing and speaking to Isaac as He had his father, Abraham. Likewise, God promised to be with Isaac, bless him, and give him descendants and land according to the promises of the covenant. God notes that He blesses Isaac because his father Abraham “obeyed me and kept my requirements, my commands, my decrees and my laws.” Though Moses had not yet born, and the law had not yet been given, he obeyed it by faith as a pattern of someone who had God’s laws written on their heart by the Holy Spirit (e.g. Jeremiah 31:33). This is also precisely the same language which Deuteronomy 11:1 uses to explain those people who love God and demonstrate it by obeying the law given at the Sinai covenant through Moses.
The rest of the chapter provides several similarities between Abraham and his son Isaac including:
- both men received God’s call and promise
- both lived during a period of famine
- both men dwelt in Gerar
- both men had lovely wives
- both men were cowards in the face of possible harm
- both men lied and said their wife was their sister
- both men were spared the consequences of their sin by God’s mercy
- both men were rebuked by more pious Gentiles for their lying schemes
- both men were pursued by Abimelech (Isaac may have actually dealt with Abimelech’s son or grandson with the same name) for a covenant
- both men were a blessing to their neighbors
- both men trusted God and lived peacefully with their neighbors
How does seeing the similarities in Abraham and Isaac’s life and relationship with God help you recognize and encourage you that God reigns over all people, time, and generations?
To help you study the book of Genesis with us, check out the second of three free e-book study guides here.
To get daily devos texted to you Monday-Friday, text DEVOTIONS to 99383. Click here to find the sermon series that accompanies this devotional series.