08 Jan Does the Bible Teach Creation or Evolution? Genesis 1:1-25
Creation Part 1 (Days 1-5)
- Read it all 3.5 hrs. 30 min day = 1x week. 15 min. day = 2x month
- Sermons – TC live & Real Faith online (notes, audio, video, transcripts)
- 3 Study Guides (NOTES), Daily Devos, Doctrine = full commentary 2023
-Exploring – 14 nations, most states, got a Bronco to explore & hike
-How did the world begin?
-Genesis – one most significant books ever written = 3500 yr old Eastern literature
- Name “genesis” = 1st words – beginning of everyone & everything but God
- By Moses, to Israel, 1400 BC
- Pentateuch (book 5 parts)
- Not exhaustive, theologically selective history (e.g. angels, Satan’s fall)
- Covers roughly 2000 years of human history, perhaps more than the rest of the Bible
In the Beginning, God Created
Genesis 1:1-2 In the beginning, God created [bara] the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
- Big Bang accepts a beginning 2. 2nd law of thermodynamics assumes an end
-Kalam Argument from Time – the existence of time necessitates a beginning reference point
-Cosmological Argument from First Cause – for every effect there is a cause beyond itself
- Nothing makes sense unless it begin w/God (we start w/us in age of selfie)
- Elohim (general name) vs Yahweh (personal name)
= Everything/Everyone 1. Created by 2. Dependent upon 3 Sustained by 4. Ruled by 5. Belongs to
Trinity (bud form)
- Father 1:1
- Spirit 1:2 – brought Creation & Revelation (Scripture) – goes before Adam & Eve to prepare
- Son – God’s Word Created- Jn 1:1–3,14, In the beginning, was the Word, & the Word was with God, the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, & without him was not any thing made that was made….the Word became flesh
- Bara – create from nothing (ONLY GOD)
- Asah – prepare something that exists (GOD & US)
- Ex nihilo Latin “out of nothing” -EVERYTHING CREATED 1:1 then PREPARED
Heb. 11:3 By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.
-Teleological Argument from Design – body/planet require Designer (??? increasing complexity)
-FINE TUNING (e.g. gravity, gravitational force, distance from the sun, carbon dioxide levels, etc.)
Physicist Freeman Dyson Inst. for Adv. Study & prof of physics @ Princeton from 1953 w/ Einstein until his death @ 96. Did not believe in resurrection or personal God.
“The more I examine the universe, and the details of its architecture, the more evidence I find that the Universe in some sense must have known we were coming.”
Heavens & Earth
- Merism – literary device speaking of the whole (stem/stern, top/bottom, lock/stock/barrel)
- Earth/Land/Eretz Often Promised Land NOT planet -1600 yrs til Babel Gen. 11 everyone lived here only. = Read in the wilderness (Exodus)
Without form (tohu) and void (bohu), and darkness was over the face of the deep
- Darkness options = 1. No light yet 2. At night
- Greeks – from chaos to cosmos (God started w/a hunk of mud)
- 1st English translation in 1530 by William Tyndale “void and empty”
Heb. 11:3 universe was created “by the word of God” “not made out of things…visible”
- (Dt 32:10 “, Is 45:18, Jer 4:23-26) “desert land”, “wilderness”
– God is like a developer. Owns land, designs then develops. Places on earth still cannot live
Are the Days of Creation Literal 24-Hour Days?
Each day is numbered and referred to as “evening and morning” (Gen. 1:5, 1:8, 1:13, 1:19, 1:23, 1:31).
Exodus 20:11 For in six days [yom] the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day.
- our days named after Norse “gods”
Day 1 Su (Sun’s day) Day 2 Mon (Moon day) Day 3 Tue (Tiu or Twia’s day) Day 4 Wed (Woden’s/Odin’s day ) Day 5 Thur (Thor’s day) Day 6 Friday (Freya’s day) Day 7 Sat (Saturn’s day)
What are the Various Christian Views of Creation?
Multi-lane highway vs one lane road
#1 – Historic Old Earth Young Humanity Creationism – bara then asah, 6 literal days, Augustine\
- earth old 4.5 billion yrs radiometric dating 2. civilized human life young
would require plant or animal death before 1st humans Adam & Eve
#2 – Young-Earth Young Humanity Creationism – bara & asah in 6 literal days
-17th-century Archbishop James Ussher 6,000 yrs old (general. Gen. 5 & 10-11)
- Science is wrong
- Flood Gen. 6-9 changed the topography
- Made mature like Adam
#3 – Old Earth Creation or Intelligent Design – 4.5 billion yrs old, people created by God not evolved, not 6 literal days
#4 – Literary Framework View – poetry/metaphor, old earth, old humanity, not 6 literal days
#5 – Evolutionary Creation – God worked through the evolutionary process & humanity has evolved from lower life forms over long periods of time , not literal 6 days
Day 1: Sunday
Genesis 1:3-5 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
Separated Day & Night
- Asah begins at daybreak which is also when Jesus rose
#1 – God was the light until sun/moon made Wednesday like Jesus in Revelation
#2 – God announcing rising not making (1:1) of sun
God does not “make” every day, but “speaks” every day PREACHER/POET
- Announcement: “And God said.”
- Commandment: “Let there be.”
- Separation: God separated the day and night, water and land, animals and plants.
- Report: “And it was so.”
- Evaluation: “And God saw that it was good.”
= Every day, God is speaking life
= When God’s Word is obeyed things are “good”
EVERY day something is called good except for on MONDAY!!! (nothing made for man)
Day 2: Monday
Genesis 1:6-8 And God said, “Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.” And God made the expanse and separated the waters that were under the expanse from the waters that were above the expanse. And it was so. And God called the expanse Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, the second day.
Separated water above (in clouds) & water below (on land)
- Expanse = sky between water on land and clouds above
- cloudy day
- God did not make this day, just separated
Day 3: Tuesday
Genesis 1:9-13 And God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear.” And it was so. God called the dry land Earth, and the waters that were gathered together he called Seas. And God saw that it was good. And God said, “Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.” And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening and there was morning, the third day.
Land prepared for human life
- God refers to clearing & preparing the land for people to live
- Land 400 + times in Genesis often Promised Land
- The land here cannot be the whole earth because the word refers to dry land
- Seas here are big and small pooled bodies of water
- Berries and fruit trees for human food whereas other plants & vegetation already existed
- No one will eat meat until 1600 years later at this point all vegetarians
- God does not create food, but allows the land to produce food for human life
- “According to kind” – negates macro-evolution
Day 4: Wednesday
Genesis 1:14-19 And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years, and let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth.” And it was so. And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars. And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.
Separated moon/stars for night & sun for day
Either: 1. God made these lights on this day, 2. made in 1:1 & declares it today
???? How could the sun/moon get created here when we already had light and plants needed light?
- Not let there be, but a statement of purpose in prep for mankind
Day 5: Thursday
Genesis 1:22-23 And God said, “Let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the heavens.” So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” And there was evening and there was morning, the fifth day.
Birds & fish
???Land 400 + times in Genesis??? Which land here???
Option #1 – animals made here, the land is the whole earth
Option #2 – animals made in 1:1, here brought to Promised Land (Gen. 2 boundaries)
= Blessing 1st of 80+ times here in Genesis more than any other book of the Bible
Day 6: Friday
Genesis 1:24-25 And God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kinds—livestock and creeping things and beasts of the earth according to their kinds.” And it was so. And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds and the livestock according to their kinds, and everything that creeps on the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
Wild & domestic animals
- wild care for self domestic needs care
- the land, not God produced animals, mankind distinct and superior
- livestock work/food (milk)
- livestock eat plants, plants did die = plant death ???? animal or human death
***STAGE NOW SET FOR MAN AND WOMAN TO ENTER
OUR GOD IS
- Only God
- Sovereign King!
WHO IS THIS GOD?
Revelation 1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”
- God did miracles through the speaking of His Word
- God made creation and makes us new Creations
- God prepared a perfect home for us and is doing it again right now
- The Spirit hovered over the waters, and today hovers over us
Revelation 4:11 “You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.” worship Him who made the heavens and earth…”