01 Jan How Do We Worship in Life?
Worship is not an XN issue but a human issue
- Everyone passionately pours out their life energy for someone or something
- If we don’t worship God, we worship someone/something else
- For many people, this is their work & wealth
- Best way to not worship work or wealth = worship God @ work & w/wealth
What is Worship?
Hebrews 13:15–16: “[Adoration] Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. [Action] Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.”
- Adoration/Declaring God (up) =internal (God sees)
- Action/Doing Good (out) = external (others see)
Understanding Work Worldviews
2 NT Cultural Forces
- Ancient Greek NT – dualism, best life devoted to philosophy & contemplation
- Ancient Romans NT – manual labor undignified & only for slaves
2 XN Expressions
- Catholicism – priest celibacy, poverty, divine calling only for Church (sacred/secular) = withdraw from public life for monastic life
- Protestantism – reformation 1. church 2. family 3. workplace = Luther
-“Your work is a very sacred matter. God delights in it, & through it He wants to bestow His blessings on you.”
– “..praise of work should be inscribed on all tools, on the forehead & faces that sweat from toiling.”
“God does not need our good works…But our neighbor does.”
- vocation = Latinate word “calling.” God calls every XN 1. tasks 2. relationships
- God has our work as his means of grace (e.g. daily bread – farmer, miller, baker)
- Protestant children were given chores as servants (royal kids had servants)
fireside kids, jr interns, interns
Sociologist Max Weber -The Protestant Ethic & the Spirit of Capitalism 1904. Studied $, culture, social mobility following Reformation. Credited Reformation rise Capitalism.
-Work is what you are paid for & not paid for (e.g. 18 mo’s, parent, volunteer)
Worshipping God with Work
Genesis 1-2 God worked 6 days and rested on the 7th day
Genesis 2:15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it…
Genesis 3:17-19 cursed is the ground because of you; in pain, you shall eat of it all the days of your life; thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you…By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”
- God worked
- God made us to work with Him & gave job description (pre-fall in a perfect world)
- Our sin causes our work to be cursed
= because of curse we try to 1. avoid work 2. find a shortcut
Christ & Christianity Revolutionized Work
Matthew 13:55 Is not this [Jesus] the carpenter’s son?
- Jesus spent 90% of his life doing manual labor & was worshipping the whole time
Luke 22:24–28 A dispute also arose among them, as to which of them was to be regarded as the greatest. And he said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them…But not so with you. Rather…the leader [is] as one who serves…I am among you as the one who serves.
- Competence Excellence
2 Thessalonians 3:10–11 If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies.
- God expects His people to work & earn w/o entitlement
- We are destroying an entire generation starting with w/young men
1 Corinthians 10:31 whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
- XN’s should be conscious of why they are doing what they are doing
- Vocation/Calling from God extends wherever Jesus Christ is Lord
Colossians 3:23–24 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.
- Work is worship to God & witness to others
-Older XN bellhop/shuttle driver/concierge taught me & another new believer
Worshipping God with Wealth
Matthew 6:24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.
Philippians 4:18 I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received…the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God.
Acts 20:35 ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”
- Jesus – 25%, OT/NT 800 passages
- Your wealth is everything you have to manage
- Life – 27k days, $2 million, 400k-800k words
Three Was to Live Life
1. Selfish – What’s mine is mine
2. Stealing – What’s yours is mine
3. Stewarding – What’s mine is His
Tithes (recurring) Offerings (projects e.g. park)
AZ – Wallethub & Forbes – a least charitable state in the US
TC – nearly everyone giver – beat our goals – Xmas/Mexico/PhxChurch/studio/gear
Next week – start Genesis w/Bibles & study guides & ebooks for free