30 Oct How does faith work in relational conflicts?
- Ancient Samhain (“sow-ain”) meaning “Festival of the Dead” – invite dead spirits up
- 1 of 8 “Sabbaths” for witches & occult – bringing in darkness of fall/winter
Jack O Lanterns – scary faces Costumes – hide identity
Trick or Treat – appease troublemakers Orange/Black – harvest/death
Cats/Bats – thought witches turned into
- James theme – 1. Hell up Life 2. Kingdom Down Life
= Hell Up – Darkness 365 decisions/relationships
Living Life Hell Up
James 4:1 What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? 2 You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. 4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
“earthly, unspiritual, demonic” – theme Kingdom Darkness
?? “What causes quarrels and fights among you”?? –
- Wars big & little – 2 sides, recruiting soldiers, innocents caught in the middle
- Our answer vs God’s answer – no mention of the issues, only the hearts
Passions at war within you
- root of English word for hedonism
You desire & do not have, so you murder
- Jesus heart murder (Matt. 5:21-22)
You covet & cannot obtain so you fight and quarrel
- Selfishness is not taught
You don’t ask God
- 1. take it from them 2. receive it from Him
You abuse what God gives on your “passions”
- Stewardship issue
= Adulterous people
- God sees our relationship like marriage, we often see it as friends w/benefits
- Friend of World & Enemy of God
- Friend of God & Enemy of World
Living Life Kingdom Down
James 4:5 Or do you suppose it is to no purpose that the Scripture says, “He yearns jealously over the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”? 6 But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. 11 Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. 12 There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?
“wisdom from above…peace” – theme continued
- God is “jealous” we are “adulterous”
- God is gracious
- God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble (Prov. 3:34)
- Humility – trusting the Father is good & obeying His commands
- God’s grace helps those walking in God’s will
Submit yourselves therefore to God.
- :7 begins Commands – leadership 1. Cooperative 2. Command = God uses both
Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
- 1. Temptation 2. Lies 3. Bitterness 4. Independence
-Lk 4:13 when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from him until an opportune time.
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.
- Don’t just run from sin, run to God
Prodigal Son Story
Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
- Get clean & keep clean
Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.
- Healthy XN feels what God feels about their sin
Fool – mocking/mourning; laughing/weeping
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.
- Word 2. Authority 3. Worship 4. Prayer
- Proud + Proud = A brutal relationship
- Proud + Humble = Abusive relationship
- Humble + Humble = A beautiful relationship
Do not speak evil against one another, brothers.
- Speak to God about people.
- Speak to the person about them (mediator/wise counsel)
- Speak to one person about another person
The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?
- Our judgment 1. Impatient 2. Imperfect
- God’s judgment 1. Perfect 2. Patient (CROSS or HELL)
CLOSE – Invitation & Baptism
- TODAY – between 2 worlds
- Non XN 2. Stirring 3. Prodigal
Darkness/Light; Death/Life; Demons/Angels; Witches/Worshippers; Satan/Jesus Christ!