11 Sep How does faith work when you are in a trial? James 1:1-8
1742 words (English translation) – read in less than 30 minutes (study guide)
- Faith Works – turn up temp church folks, BLUE COLLAR SCHOLAR
= ? downside to being Jesus brother ? (spank, argue, WWJD)
Your trial will find you. When it does find 1. God over 2. Joy in 3. Wisdom through
Find God Over Your Trial
James 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion: Greetings.
- To: Jewish XN’s scattered persecution, among 1st NT books Church high % Jewish
- From: James
- Not name drop/flex title
- Nicknames – A. “James the Just” B. “Camel Knees”
=James’ trial started bad, ended good
Mk 3:21,31 [Jesus] family…went out to seize him, for they were saying, “He is out of his mind.”
Mk 6:3-4 Is not this the carpenter…son of Mary & brother of James/Joses/Judas/Simon?..are not his sisters here?”..Jesus said..“A prophet is not without honor..in his hometown & among his relatives..”
Jn 7:5 not even his brothers believed in him.
1 Cor 15:7 Then he [risen Jesus] appeared to James, then to all the apostles.
Acts 1:14 1st [XN’s gathering as church] Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.
Gal 1:18-19, 2:9 I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas…[&] James the Lord’s brother…when James & Cephas & John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to Barnabas & me, that we should go to the Gentiles
=Jesus’ in His family (Mary & Joseph, James, Jude, Simon + sisters + John B family)
=Jesus in your family 1:2 “brothers” “Mk 3:35 whoever does the will of God…is my brother and sister & mother.”
Find Joy in Your Trial
James 1:2 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, 3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.
- Trials – come UP (“trouble/difficulty”; “trials/temptations” = “tests” graduate/mature)
- Help – come DOWN
What are your trials?
- global, national, regional, local, others (family, friends)
- personal – physical, financial, relational, spiritual, mental, emotional
= Complex grief (Jesus #1 compassion)
Trials disrupt our normal life &…
- Strip away objects of faith other than God
- Reveal our true selves
- Reveals others true selves
- Remind us what has gone wrong in the world & Who alone can fix it
- Reveals our contribution (reap/sow)
- Simplifies life & who/what truly matters
How to Fail Your Test
- Avoider – past, ignore, deny, minimize, move on, self-medicate (age stop maturing)
- Fixer – some things cannot be solved soon, some things cannot be solved this life
- Worrier – false prophecy over future
- Grinder – cheerless plod forwards (Hebrews “joy set before…endured cross)
- Blamer – only/always a victim
- Martyr – live under the pressure until it breaks you (“once for all”)
- Rebel – excuse bad behavior
How to Pass Your Test
- Trial (outside) Rejoice (inside)
- Not denial of external reality. Awareness of greater internal reality
- Jesus sufferedfor you 2. Become Christlike 3. Graduate 4. Minister to others 5. Rejoice w/others 6. Store up treasures in Heaven = steadfastness
Find Wisdom Through Your Trial James 1:4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
Wisdom = theme James
- Knowledge is knowing the truth, wisdom is knowing that to do with it.
- Knowledge it theoretical, wisdom is practical.
- Knowledge fills libraries, wisdom fills lives.
- Knowledge is truthful, wisdom is useful.
- Knowledge provides information, wisdom provides transformation.
- Knowledge tells you what to believe, wisdom tells you how to behave.
- Knowledge finds the problem, wisdom finds the solution.
= Our world has more knowledge & less wisdom than ever.
=Online – anger/fear (not joy) = who/what is enemy of the day
Don’t respond to your hardship. Do respond to the Lord over your hardship.
- running from pain vs running to God
- unstable vs steadfast
All wisdom comes from the “Spirit of wisdom”
- Scripture (book of James is part of Wisdom Literature)
- Prayer (“ask God, who gives generously”)
- Wise Counsel (XN counselor, friend, parent, mentor, book, podcast, sermon, James)
-Personal trials & lessons learned
- Watch for signs you are in the vice
- Have plan for the pain (self-care vs selfish; healthy = helpful)
- Find Joy!
- Driving Vision
Joy & Good News
There is a good God. God forgives. God understands. God helps
“rejoice in the Lord” – NOT