27 Nov How does faith work when you do ministry? James 5:13-20
James closes with ministry
Put your faith to work
Who is Suffering?
James 5:13 Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray.
Prayer is talking to the Father, and listening to the Father
- OT – lots of fathers & genealogies, 15X in reference nation Israel
- Jesus Revolutionary Word – 65X Matt-Lk; 100+X John
- Zero indication Jews used Father before Jesus
- Abba – not Daddy but Father (young & old children)
- God does not need you to pray, you need you to pray.
- Prayer transfers the burdens you cannot carry to the God who can.
- Prayer is inviting the Great Physician in to do what the physicians can’t do.
- Prayer either delivers us from our suffering or delivers us through our suffering.
Final breath Luke 23:46 Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands, I commit my spirit!” And having said this he breathed his last.
-If Jesus needed to pray, you need to pray. Prayer after the sermon! ONLINE? post
Who is Cheerful?
James 5:13 Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.
- Singing is a way of processing & responding. (after the sermon)
- Singing is a way of praying.
- Singing is a way of emotionally maturing.
- Singing is a way of celebrating.
Worship the King! Starts next week w/special year-end campaign, service order, communion, worship studio, music videos, gear upgrade
Who is Sick?
James 5:14-16 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up.
-Praying allows us to 1. deal with reality, 2. empathize, 3. support, & 4. do something.
Jesus healed some of the sick
- 27X Gospels Jesus healed individuals; 10X groups
- + other healings by Jesus not recorded
- Acts – Dr. Luke records – 14 healing miracles; 12 of 28 chapters
Jesus still heals some of the sick
o Error #1 – Jesus cannot heal
o Error #2 – Jesus must heal
- Sick person – actively seek/invite others in
- medicinal (LK a Dr.) 2. spiritual (HS anoints)
- Jesus never used
- 1X NT by 12 Mark 6:13
Jesus will heal all of the sick – Kingdom of God (some dead rose w/Jesus)
Who is Sinning?
James 5:15 And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.
Some but NOT all sickness is from sin
- Sin can cause physical problems (abuse body)
- Sin causes mental/emotional problems (stress, especially bitterness)
- Sin causes spiritual problems (bondage/oppression comes w/the flesh)
Sinning?: Wise Counsel: Bringing darkness into light (you choose counselor, confidant)
Who is Weary?
James 5:16-18 The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.
- We are finite & reach our limits (temptation, exhaustion, frustration)
-Luke 3:21–22 when Jesus…had been baptized and was praying, the heavens were opened, and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form, like a dove; and a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”
-Luke 11:13 the heavenly Father [will] give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
-Most people do far better-keeping gas in their car, & power on their phone, than Spirit in soul
Who is Doubting?
James 5: 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. 18 Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit.
Battled Ahab & Jezebel & Prophets Baal
Fed by angels & birds in the wilderness
Chariot of fire to heaven
= Superhero to Jewish kids
Elijah was like you
Never Forget to Find the Lost Sheep
James 5:19-20 My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, 20 let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.
4 Ways to Wander
- Heart – going through motions (lukewarm, church hurt?)
- Soul – not feeding/nurturing personal relationship w/God
- Mind – wander into false teaching (CT)
- Strength – giving in to temptation
We need 1. God 2. Each other
- It’s not good to be alone – first negative statement, pre-fall
- 56X NT “one another” – cannot obey the Bible apart from the church
- Ecclesia – gathering/assembly
COVID + WOKE + FEAR = decline of the church
– 1/3 online their church, 1/3 shopping online 1/3 nothing – over time only worse
– most churches 1/3 – 2/3 2019 attendance & struggling
– many believers & religious church folks fell out of faith practices
– Who comes to mind? Who needs a Bible? Who needs an invitation? XMAS season