10 Nov James’ 4 Life Lessons for Men
No one knows you like your family does because they are there when no one else is.
1. James Disbelieved Jesus
Mark 3:21, 31-32 And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for they were saying, “He is out of his mind.” … 31 And his mother and his brothers came, and standing outside they sent to him and called him. 32 And a crowd was sitting around him, and they said to him, “Your mother and your brothers are outside, seeking you.”
- James was part of a large family
- In & Out – teaching & miracles – like son off to work/college
Are you the non-Christian who knows about Jesus but does not live under His Lordship?
2. James Doubted Jesus
John 7:2-5 Now the Jews’ Feast of Booths was at hand. 3 So his brothers said to him, “Leave here and go to Judea, that your disciples also may see the works you are doing. 4 For no one works in secret if he seeks to be known openly. If you do these things, show yourself to the world.” 5 For not even his brothers believed in him.
- Like us, belief is not always all at once
Are you the guy who knows Jesus, or at least about Jesus, but has a lot of? & doubts?
3. James’ Devotion to Jesus
1 Corinthians 15:7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.
Acts 1:14 All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.
James 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion: Greetings.
- Jesus died & rose & James would know (nobody double)
How has Jesus proven Himself to you, and called you to serve Him?
4. James Died for Jesus
- 1 Bible nickname “pillar”
- 2 extra Bible Nicknames – “James the Just” & “Camel Knees”
- Thrown off pinnacle Temple, stoned, clubbed by religious leaders around 62-63; successor Simon/Simeon another brother (3rd one to lead)
What will your last day bring? James 4:14 says your life is a “mist”
How can we pray for you?