09 Jan Jesus’ Secret to Prayer Sermon Notes
2020 – Direction (God’s word about preparing), Jimmy’s word
2021 – Unburden (self-contempt/ breaking; others centered contempt/rioting)
- Prayer is communicating with God: audibly/silently, speaking/hearing, = relationship
- Can be traditional postures, driving, walking, singing, journaling, painting, sketching
Kids little did not care what we did, just how we connected
Prayer – Honest, does the word make you feel guilty?
- Prayer is not something you have to do. Prayer is something you get to do.
- Prayer is not a burden-giving duty. Prayer is a burden-lifting delight
- God does not need your prayers. You need your prayers.
- Prayer is not telling God something new. Prayer is inviting God in to help.
- Prayer is less about us moving God’s hand. Prayer is more about God moving our heart.
- Our goal is not to beat you up. Our goal is to build you up.
Big Lessons from Little Kids
Matthew 18:1–3 the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Luke 18:15-17 they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them. And when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to him, saying, “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”
- The Bible says that adults should teach children.
- The Bible also says that God uses children to teach adults.
- Our faith should not be childish, but our faith should be child-like.
- To learn about prayer don’t look religious but kids w/loving parent
The Father Wound
Malachi 4:5-6 “Behold, I will send you…the prophet before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes. And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the land with a decree of utter destruction.”
Save the best for last – carry God’s people 400 years to Jesus
Curses have less to do with witches and more to do with dads
If your dad has no heart for you, & you have no heart for your dad = generational curse
- Physical father
- Spiritual father
- Father figure – coach, grandpa, uncle, big brother, teacher, mentor
The Missing in Action Man. Died/sick/unable – not rejection but loss
The Deadbeat Dad. Walked out. Rejection.
The Addicted Dad. self-medicates, no room left for anyone or anything else.
The Mr. Nice Guy. tender, kind, loving, warm – not conflict or correction loses a lot
The Selfish Dad. Hobbies & buddies
The Party Hearty Pop. Everyone likes, no one respects. Immature. Life of party.
The Domineering Dad. This guy is overbearing, intimidating, bullying. Military, sports, biz.
The Good Dad. This guy is not perfect, but he is present. Apologizes. Listens. Cares. Tries.
- Father wound is an unhealed hurt from a physical or spiritual father, or a father figure.
- Father wound = orphan spirit “I will not leave you as orphans” Jn. 14:18
- Father wound on earth blocks your view of your Father in Heaven.
Atheism – no Father Agnosticism – unsure & no interest Deism – gone
Islam – cruel Liberal XN- passive Feminist – mother
Healing the Father Wound
John 14:1-18 In my Father’s house are many rooms…And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also…Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus said to him…Whoever has seen me has seen the Father…The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me…And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth…You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. “I will not leave you as orphans…
- Jesus is our Big Brother, God is our Father, Heaven is the Father’s House
- The Spirit brings us to Jesus, Jesus brings us to the Father
- Life Father like Son, Jesus is the reflection of the Father on earth
- Jesus was orphaned so that you could be adopted “why have you forsaken me?”
- God replaces the orphan Spirit with the Holy Spirit
Jesus’ Secret to Prayer
Luke 11:1–2 Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.” And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be your name….”
- Prayer is like 2 pedals on a bike.
- You know who God is and how He feels about you
- You speak with Him and invite Him into every part of your life
- OT – lots of fathers & genealogies, 15X in reference nation Israel
- Jesus Revolutionary Word – 65X Matt-Lk; 100+X John
- Zero indication Jews used Father before Jesus
- Abba – not Daddy but Father (young & old children)
Story of woman – trauma trigger word “father”. The key to prayer is God the Father!
Is God Your Father or Master?
Galatians 4:6-7 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.
|God as Master vs. God as Father|
|A master uses you||A father blesses you|
|You serve them||They serve you|
|Motivate you by fear||Motivate you by love|
|Beats you down||Builds you up|
|No grace for an inheritance||Full grace for an inheritance|
Are You the Father’s Son or Slave?
Romans 8:14–16 all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
|Slave vs. Son|
|Controlling relationship||Loving relationship|
|Works-based lifestyle||Grace-based lifestyle|
|Forever out of the family||Forever in the family|
- Ancient Roman Empire – up to ½ slaves (beasts/machines)
- A slave lives for their identity, a son lives from their identity
- A slave mindset leads to a works based rather than a grace-based relationship with God
Interview Ashley ONLY on Saturday
Wrap you up like a burrito story – “I am glad that I have a daddy on earth and a Daddy in Heaven who both love me. It’s nice that I can talk to either of you anytime I want, and you will hear me and help me. Good night.”
- God shared title of Father/Dad w/me
- You spoke freely because you knew your dad loved you
- I was your dad, and His child
- Healthy home habits for kids spiritual environment?
- Prayer & Costa Rica?
- Prayer & Argentina?
- Prayer @ marriage?
- Hope for the book & project?
- Anything you’d say to young Christians?
- Real Men & Real Women on Wednesday
= Ashley close in prayer