16 Jan Pray Like Jesus Sermon Notes
- Prayer is communicating with God: audibly/silently, speaking/hearing, = relationship
- #1. Father #2. Jesus’ perfect example
- Cover as much as possible, rest @ Real Men
- Children learn everything – watching, listening, questioning (True spiritually & physically)
- Me in my first small group for prayer
- YOU 1. Untaught 2. Poorly taught 3. Well taught (on prayer)
Pray By the Spirit, Through the Son, to the Father
Trinity – 1 God in 3 persons
- God is not lonely or needy
- 800X Bible “love”, 1 John 4:8 “God is love” = source & definition of love
- You were made from relationship, for relationship, by relationship
1. Praying by the Spirit
- Galatians 4:6 because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!”
2. Praying Through the Son
- 1 Timothy 2:5 there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus…
- Hebrews 7:25 he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.
Ashley – friend made request & she was mediator & intercessor to get help
3. Praying To the Father
- Luke 11:1–2 Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray…” And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be your name….
Prayer is joining the Trinity in life giving relationship under the Father
How Did Jesus Prayer?
Scriptural prayers Psalm 22:1 “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
Long prayers Luke 6:12 he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God.
Warfare prayers John 12:27–28 “Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? But for this purpose I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name.”
Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar – relay runners; Genghis Khan – homing pigeons
Flags on boats; Telegraph & morse code; Radio; Wired phones – lines cut; Wireless. Printed telegraph; FM Radio; TV (propaganda); Internet
Thankful prayers Matthew 11:25–26 “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children…
Ash notecard 2.5 years, family dinner journal
In song Mark 14:26 when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
Passover sung Psalm 113-118
Last breath Luke 23:46 Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” And having said this he breathed his last.
How Can We Pray Like Jesus?
Pray in faith Matthew 21:22 whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”
Pray succinctly Mark 12:38–40 “Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes and like greetings in the marketplaces and have the best seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at feasts, who devour widows’ houses and for a pretense make long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.”
Pray in God’s Will John 16:23–24 Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you…Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.
Pray humbly Luke 18:9-14
Religious Ricky vs Larry Loser
Pray fervently Luke 18:1 he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart.
What and Whom Can We Pray for Like Jesus?
Pray for sinners Mark 11:25 whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”
Young good dad
Pray for your needs Matthew 7:7–8 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.
Pray for your burdens Matthew 11:28–30 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
Roy & garbage can
Pray against temptation Matthew 26:41 Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Pray for evangelism Matthew 9:37-38 “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.”
Pray for your enemies:
Matthew 5:44 Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
Luke 23:34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them…”
Pray for your friends Luke 22:31–32 Simon…Satan demanded to have you…but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.
Pray for children Matthew 19:13 children were brought to him that he might lay his hands on them and pray.
Ashley Discussion – “pray w/o ceasing” 1 Thess. 5:17 – sacred vs secular