25 Mar Real Men: Daniel #10 Notes & Small Group Questions
To help you study the book of Daniel in a men’s group setting, each week we will post notes and small group questions from Real Men men’s ministry based on that week’s sermon on the markdriscoll.org blog.
3 Ways to Turn From Crisis to Christ: Daniel 10
Judo (Japanese “the gentle way”) combat won by using opponent’s weight and strength as weapons against him. Goal is they expend mental & physical energy while you preserve yours. Technique can beat strength. Spiritual War principle
Backdrop Daniel (2500+ yrs ago)
- Battle reopen “Church”1. word 2. worship 3. witness
- The people of God are weary (8 weeks vs 70 years)
- Daniel sees the spiritual forces behind the scenes in the unseen realm
- The people of God are fighting an invisible enemy (viral/spiritual)
- Daniel overwhelmed with bad news & he’s not doing well
Turn Isolation into Solitude
Daniel 10:8 I was left alone and saw this great vision, and no strength was left in me. My radiant appearance was fearfully changed, and I retained no strength.
Daniel 10:10 And behold, a hand touched me
Turn Complex Grief into Lamenting
Daniel 10:1-3 the word was true, and it was a great conflict…I, Daniel, was mourning for three weeks. I ate no delicacies, no meat or wine entered my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, for the full three weeks.
- Complex grief
10:9 I fell on my face in deep sleep with my face to the ground.
- Physical depression
10:16-17 “…by reason of the vision pains have come upon me, and I retain no strength…now no strength remains in me, and no breath is left in me.”
- Psalms, Lamentations, Jeremiah, David
- Jesus Isa 53 “suffering servant” “man of sorrows” “acquainted w/grief” “Jesus wept”
- When you lament, you allow yourself to feel.
- When you lament, you process pain in the present & fear of the future.
- When you lament, you grieve your involvement and shed your victim mind-set.
- When you lament, you empathize with others who are hurting.
- When you lament, you work through the cycle of grief: 1. Denial 2. Anger 3. Bargaining 4. Depression 5. Acceptance 6. Thanksgiving.
- When you lament, you escape being a religious response (Romans 8:28).
Turn Fear into Faith
Daniel 10:12 “Fear not, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand and humbled yourself before your God, your words have been heard…
- Fear – not always a sin
Daniel 10:19 And he said, “O man greatly loved, fear not, peace be with you; be strong and of good courage.” And as he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, “Let my lord speak, for you have strengthened me.”
- Faith – external unchanged, internal changed (who can you speak to)
Discussion and Prayer
- How can you turn isolation into solitude?
- How can you turn complex grief into lamenting?
- How can you turn your fear into faith?
- How can we pray for you?