15 Apr Real Men: How Men Can Use and Abuse the Bible Notes & Small Group Questions
Your Family is Better with the Bible
Romans 12:16 Live in harmony with one another…
1 Corinthians 1:10b Agree with one another…
Proverbs 30:5 “Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
5 Benefits of Biblical Agreement
- Agreement on primary life issues
- Creates a unified blueprint for all of life and family
- God’s rule reduces domineering
- Establishes priorities reducing jealousy
- Puts the family in a place that God wants to bless and help
RM “Couples who are part of the same Christian denomination are 42 percent more likely to be very happy than couples who are not. Moreover, higher rates of attendance and theological conservatism are also associated with greater marital happiness—especially when spouses have similar beliefs and attendance patterns. Conversely, couples who do not share the same religious denomination or who have no religious affiliation are significantly more likely to divorce. And couples with different religious backgrounds are more than 120 percent more likely to divorce.”
5 Ways Men Abuse the Bible
- The Theologian: impractical, non-relational, information not transformation
- The Bully: quote a verse as the God hammer
- The Hypocrite: secretly violates their own demands
- The Perfectionist: impossible standard & judges
- The Coward: skips the hard stuff
5 Ways Men Can Use the Bible
Mark 12:28-31“And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” Jesus answered, “The most important is,  ‘Hear, O Israel:  The Lord  our God,  the Lord is one.  And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
- Listen “Hear”
- Submit “The Lord”
- Join a Team “our God”
- Pursue unity “the Lord is one”
- Build healthy relationships (love…your God….love your neighbor)
“attachment deprivation” & “Affectionless Psychopathy”
Non-relational parenting (technology)
-The quality of your relationships determine the quality of your life & your family.
Discussion and Prayer
- What are the benefits you have experienced from Biblical agreement in your family and church family?
- What pains have you experienced from a lack of Biblical agreement in your family and church family?
- How have you seen yourself, and other men, abuse the Bible?
- How does a healthy relationship with God and others change your view of the purpose of the Bible?