24 Jul Real Ministry: Planning (Romans 15:22-33)
Real Ministry: Planning (Romans 15:22-33)
– 12+ nations, 30+ states, around ½ books Bible, wrote 32 books? + study guides devos etc.
– Roughly decade walked avg 20 mi day, single, poor, side jobs, riots, prison
2 Cor. 6:4-10… afflictions, hardships, calamities, beatings, imprisonments, riots..sleepless nights, hunger..slander..treated as impostors..dying..punished..sorrowful…poor…having nothing
2 Cor. 11:23-39 stripes above measure, in prisons. …5X 40 stripes minus 1. 3X beaten with rods…stoned; 3X shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep, perils of waters…robbers…perils of my own countrymen & Gentiles…perils in the city…perils in the wilderness…perils in the sea…perils among false brethren…weariness…toil…sleeplessness often…hunger and thirst…cold and nakedness…my deep concern for all the churches.
- There is no retirement from Christian service
- Thought leaders vs people leaders
- Theology = study of God not just for information but mission
Romans 15:22-24 This is the reason why I have so often been hindered from coming to you. But now, since I no longer have any room for work in these regions, and since I have longed for many years to come to you, I hope to see you in passing as I go to Spain, and to be helped on my journey there by you, once I have enjoyed your company for a while.
Some think that planning is unspiritual.
Annual (vision retreat). Quarterly. Weekly Sync. 1 calendar. Full access all accounts
- 3 trips at least 3000 miles by land and sea
- Spain – massive area larger than his entire previous 3 missionary journeys
- Historians/theologians say he never got to Spain. Church history says he did.
- Your vision should be bigger than your life
- We tend to focus on the arrival. God cares a lot about the journey
- Follow the compass not the clock
- Plan and pivot
= What’s your Spain?
Romans 15:25-27 At present, however, I am going to Jerusalem bringing aid to the saints. For Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to make some contribution for the poor among the saints at Jerusalem. For they were pleased to do it, and indeed they owe it to them. For if the Gentiles have come to share in their spiritual blessings, they ought also to be of service to them in material blessings.
Vision requires provision
- Blessings – 1. “spiritual” (from Jerusalem) 2. “material” (from Rome)
Trunk & branches
Acts 1:8 Jesus’ final words, “you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, & you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem & in all Judea & Samaria, & to the end of the earth.”
- 2 pockets 1. Tithes 2. Offerings
- This is a “special offering” or “campaign” to strengthen the trunk
- Rome was “rich” & Jerusalem was “poor” (Gal. 2:9-10)
· Scottsdale is our trunk unless God tells us otherwise
· Last 18 months – A Family Needs a House – café (women, students, premarital, parenting, hospitality, join the team, young adults); studio; improvements (HVAC, restrooms, Backyard, kids space, AVL, lobby)
· NEXT – finish the trunk (then branches)
-Maturity comes through giving not taking
-If you share it God will multiply it (little boy fishes & loaves)
Romans 15:28-29 When therefore I have completed this and have delivered to them what has been collected, I will leave for Spain by way of you. I know that when I come to you I will come in the fullness of the blessing of Christ.
- Most productive apostle – more miles, church plants, trained more leaders, wrote more books Bible
- Lots of people travel & work with him (names across letters incl. Rom. 16)
- Your resources are in your relationships
- Great people are a greater treasure than a great city
-We can welcome people moving here!
Romans 15:30-33 I appeal to you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God on my behalf, that I may be delivered from the unbelievers in Judea, and that my service for Jerusalem may be acceptable to the saints, so that by God’s will I may come to you with joy and be refreshed in your company. May the God of peace be with you all. Amen.
- Strive together” – athletes
- The “Spirit” brings unity through prayer as we come under God’s vision not division
- Unified unbelievers are more powerful than divided believers
- Deliverance from enemies. His former peers, religious legalists, falsely accused him, harassed him, tried to murder him, arrested, months in protective custody, and a lengthy trial exercised his right as a Roman citizen to be transported to Rome for trial. Acts ends with Paul under house arrest in Rome?
- Help God’s people
- Joy & recovery
- Peace in the church