23 Mar Real Repentance
- 95 Theses door @ Wittenberg
- Repentance vs Tolerance
- We should only trust people humble enough to be honest & open to change
As Head, Abraham’s Sin Affected His Whole Household
Genesis 12:10-13,17 Now there was a famine in the land. So Abram went down to Egypt to sojourn there, for the famine was severe in the land. 11 When he was about to enter Egypt, he said to Sarai his wife, “I know that you are a woman beautiful in appearance, 12 and when the Egyptians see you, they will say, ‘This is his wife.’ Then they will kill me, but they will let you live. 13 Say you are my sister, that it may go well with me because of you, and that my life may be spared for your sake.”… But the LORD afflicted Pharaoh and his house with great plagues
- Double down on his bad decisions
- Collapse under the pressure
- Make a lot of excuses
- Blameshift to someone else
- Minimize the issues
- Create a diversionary crisis to change the subject
Abraham Led His Household in Repentance
Genesis 131 So Abram went up from Egypt, he and his wife and all that he had
Genesis 13:18 18 So Abram moved his tent and came and settled by the oaks of Mamre, which are at Hebron, and there he built an altar to the LORD.
- Repentance deals with your stuff, not theirs
- 2 religious men confess
- Repentance is about doing what’s right, not controlling the outcome
- Repentance + Forgiveness = Reconciled Relationship
- Repentance brings the whole truth into the light
- Repentance is about feeling bad and doing good
- Repentance is coming clean before you get caught
- Repentance puts to death what Jesus died for
- Repentance is about turning around and heading north
Who is in your canoe?
PJE story about upstream vs downstream canoe
Discussion & Prayer
- Is anything in your life going north and needing to head south?
- How can we pray for you?