Mindful Truths for Mindless Times: 1 Peter 1:12-25
- 1 Peter 1:1 elect exiles
- 1:3 born again
- 1 Peter 1:6 you have been grieved by various trials
- 1 Peter 1:7 tested by fire
Christians and non-Christians can experience the same hardship/suffering/trial but do not have the same resources to face it and are to respond differently
God Over the Mob
1 Peter 1:13 Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
-Based upon who God is and what God does “therefore” = your response
-You can have a drunk body or a drunk mind (vs sober) Drunk History
- Get your head on straight!
- Get your head in the game!
- Worshipping includes thinking
- Thinking precedes doing
- Mindless Christianity is a problem (images, social media)
- Mindless people follow mob mentality/herd mindset
- College – philosophy & pomo deconstruction/dismantling
- Em Church – decon/dism theology & church
- I come from the future where social media & algorithms biased
- CT – worldview – Heaven on earth w/o Jesus (pomo deconst + Marxist power)
- Institutions built privileged (gender, marriage, family, police, $, gov’t, church)
- Justice is dismantling & allowing underprivileged to rebuild
- No exceptions & to disagree is to prove you are privileged
- Points out problems, offers no solutions but anarchy & self-destruction
- Negates personal moral responsibility
- Hope = not an uncertain destiny but a certain destination (anchor soul)
- Mindful Christianity is our only hope
– long sermons, daily devos, study guide, ask pm, study guides, Bible (Part: Gen 36-50; Lk 1-2, Prov; ALL: Mal, Hab, Jonah, Ruth, Daniel, Prov, John, Col, Gal, 1 Jn, Php)
God Over Selfishness
1 Peter 1:14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, 15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”
- Holy – #1 attribute of God
- Born again, new Father, new family = new lifestyle
- Education & wisdom are not the same
- Morals what people do in a culture. Ethics what people should do based upon God’s laws over that culture. (sex, abortion, stealing, lying, drunkenness, etc.)
- Holiness is rebellion against the world (vs their rebellion against God)
- New desires
God Over Culture
1 Peter 1:17 And if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one’s deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile,
- People deny universal laws and lawgiver until it benefits them/conscience
- You were saved from forefathers to new Father
- You are an exile in this futile world
God Over Family
1 Peter 1:18 knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. 20 He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for the sake of you 21 who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.
- We carry on our family habits until we get a new family
- Slavery – to sin
- Ransomed – set free by Jesus Christ
God Over Tribe
1 Peter 1:22 Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, 23 since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God;
Tribalism – us vs them
- Jew vs Gentile Pagan Gentile (Neh. 9:7; Acts 7:2-3 = Ur/Babylon)
- Gentiles made to fuel hell, forbidden to help Gentile mother in birth
- Intermarriage = funeral
If you want to grow a weed do nothing.
If you want to grow a plant start w/a seed. Open Bibles learn, Open lives love
God Over All
1 Peter 1:24 for “All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, 25 but the word of the Lord remains forever.” And this word is the good news that was preached to you.
Quotes Isaiah 40:24-25
More than any cause, movement, feeling, culture, or social unit, God is in control and is over it all.