How to Survive the Coming Crisis: 1 Peter 5:1-12 (1 Peter #9)
1. Jesus trained Peter to be a leader for 3 years
2. Jesus told Peter He was praying because Satan would attack, he would fail, yet be restored. Peter said he was ready to go to prison & death (Luke 22:31-34)
3. When the battle raged Peter failed Jesus when He needed support the most
4. Jesus restored Peter “feed my sheep” (John 21:15-19)
5. Peter now an older shepherd, battle tested, preparing XN’s for growing crisis
6. Closes 4 things how to survive the coming crisis
#1. Select Your Shepherd
1 Peter 5 So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: 2 shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; 3 not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock. 4 And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.
Single Headship/Plural Leadership – 1. Trinity 2. Family 3. Universal Church 4. Local Church
1. Apostolic/Wise Counsel/Overseers
2. Elders (older healthy godly mature leaders)
- organizational leaders (governance – $, assets, structure, legal)
- Governance of the organization (money/assets, power) also called to “rule”
3. Shepherds – relational leaders
- Bible uses lots of words for ministry leaders & diff’t groups define them differently
- The one thing we all agree on is the do’s and don’ts of character
-Do – exercise oversight, serve willingly, as God would have you, eagerly, examples to the flock, serve the eternal reward of the Chief Shepherd
-Don’t – serve under compulsion, do it for shameful gain, not domineering,
– 1 Peter “various trials” coming “fiery trials” 2 Peter – God’s people need leader
#2. Find Your Flock
1 Peter 5:5 Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” 6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
- Isolation causes desolation
- We all live on a spectrum from humble to proud
- Humility is not thinking less of yourself. Humility is thinking of yourself less.
- Humility lets God be the center of your life, and leaves room for others with you.
- Humility permits you to accept help from God & others.
- Php. 2:5-11
- Mark 10:45 – serve & life as ransom †
- Mark 9 & 10 – “who is greatest” & “right & left”
- Humility – nearly 900X in Scripture
1. Pride is Demonic. Humility is Godly.
2. Pride pulls hell up. Humility invites heaven down.
3. Pride is natural. Humility is supernatural.
4. Pride is like a demon. Humility is the spirit that casts out that demon.
5. Pride is how we war with God. Humility is how we worship God.
6. Pride can humiliate you. Only you can humble you.
7. Pride is a destination. Humility is a direction.
8. Pride is the cause for most relational problems. Humility is the cure for most relational problems.
3 Kinds of Relationships
- Proud + Proud = a battle
- Proud + Humble = abuse
- Humble + Humble = a blessing
#3. Lookout for the Lion
1 Peter 5:8 Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 9 Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.
Cougar alerts in our neighborhood
- Sheep and shepherds need to keep an eye out for lions
- Shepherds feed sheep, lions eat sheep
- “Be sober-minded; be watchful.” “Resist him”
When a crisis is looming, and people are hurting, the Enemy is lurking
#4. The Chief Shepherd is For You and Coming for You
1 Peter 5:10-14 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. 11 To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen. 12 By Silvanus, a faithful brother as I regard him, I have written briefly to you, exhorting and declaring that this is the true grace of God. Stand firm in it. 13 She who is at Babylon, who is likewise chosen, sends you greetings, and so does Mark, my son. 14 Greet one another with the kiss of love. Peace to all of you who are in Christ.
- You will suffer, but God will give you grace to endure it
- You will feel overwhelmed, but God will restore, confirm, strengthen, & establish you
- You will want to run in fear, but God wants you stand firm in faith
- You will have anxiety & suffering, but God has friends, grace, love, and peace for you