Power Under Pressure: 2 Peter 1:1-15 (Week 1)
- 1 Peter “various trials” (1:6)
- prophesied “fiery trials” (4:12)
- World Superpower is self-destructing
1. Politically–Nero; 2. Economically–crisis; 3. Socially – riots, 4. Physically – death 5. Racially-division, 6. Spiritually-oppression = pressure on XN’s/churches getting worse
- Cannot go around it, gotta go through it? How? Power under Pressure!
God Works for You
2 Peter 1:1 Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:
1. How you become a XN
- Righteousness – “the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ”
- “obtained” – chosen for a gift you did not earn (e.g. casting of lots w/Zechariah)
- “received” (NASB, NIV, NLV) – “given to you” (NLT)
= Works Righteousness vs Gift Righteousness
- Justification – Imputed Righteousness = legal “standing” through Jesus
- Regeneration – Imparted Righteousness = faith through Spirit
=God is the one Person & your Standing is the one thing you can count on
2. Who you are as a XN
- Peter & Apostles – “equal standing with ours”
- Peter – chosen by Jesus, inner 3, 3 years, named 1st, preached Pentecost Spirit fell Church launched, writing 2nd book Bible
=Our Father does not play favorites
3. How you live as XN
- For the XN – no matter what our title we precede it with “servant” (church family)
=Jesus “Suffering Servant”
Count on Jesus God over this life, Savior through this life (over it & in it with you)
God Works in You
2 Peter 1:2 May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. 3 His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, 4 by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.
- There’s always more grace, more peace, and more learning from Jesus for you!
- Holy Spirit – “divine power”,
1. Lord (“Jesus”)
2. Nature (“divine nature”)
3. Mind (“knowledge of God”)
4. Power (“divine power”)
5. Desire (“escaped…sinful desire”)
1. Your new nature hates what you used to love, and loves what you used to hate
2. The closer you get to Jesus, the more this world no longer works for you.
3. The closer you get to Jesus, the more people w/o the Spirit don’t even understand you.
God Works with You
2 Peter 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. 8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins.
“nearsighted…blind” – fixated on one thing at the expense of everything
-Jeep – broken windshield (people & problems in front of you e.g. phone)
8 Healthy Habits
1. faith – deeper trust
2. virtue – consistent character
3. knowledge – increased wisdom starting with Scripture
4. self-control – dominion emotions/desires/impulses (denial & delayed gratification)
5. steadfastness – endurance/perseverance/fortitude/resilience in face of hardship
6. godliness – loyalty to God above all else
7. brotherly affection – love for XN’s
8. love – non-sexual non-selfish care for everyone (incl. strangers, enemies)
– Rowing analogy from our old house dock
“ineffective or unfruitful”
1. Don’t exchange busyness for fruitfulness
2. Don’t see pain as punishment but rather pruning
– Apple tree story
God Works through You
2 Peter 1:10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to confirm your calling and election, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall. 11 For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 12 Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have. 13 I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder, 14 since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me. 15 And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things.
- God made you a XN: “calling” “election”
- You – “confirm” by your “practice [of] these qualities” = “never fail”
- You cannot lose your salvation, but if you are not growing you will start doubting
- 1/3 XN their church; 1/3 church shopping online; 1/3 doing nothing
- “stir you up” – this is why we meet, communicate, worship, pray.