What does incarnation mean?
- John 1:1-2 – In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He [Jesus] was in the beginning with God.
- John 1:14 – And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.
1. Name: Jesus
2. Birthday: before Beginning (Gen 1:1) = YOUNG
3. Residence: “with God” [face-face]
4. Employment: “was God”
5. Title: Word/Logos
How did people know God was coming?
- Genesis 3:15 (4000 B.C.) – “I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.”
- Isaiah 7:14 (700 B.C.) – Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
- Micah 5:2 (700 B.C.) – But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel, whose origin is from of old, from ancient days [eternity].
- Malachi 3:1 (400 B.C.) – Behold, I send my messenger and he will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord whom you seek will come to his temple; and the messenger of the covenant in whom you delight, behold, he is coming, says the Lord of hosts.
Is Jesus fully God?
- Daniel 7:13–14 – “I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him. And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed.”
- Mark 14:61–64 – …the high priest asked him, “Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?” And Jesus said, “I am, and you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven.” And the high priest tore his garments and said, “What further witnesses do we need? You have heard his blasphemy.”
- John 8:58–59 – “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.
- John 10:30–33 – “I and the Father are one.” Again the[y]…picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?” “We are not stoning you for any of these,” replied the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”
Is Jesus fully human?
- 1 John 4:2–3 – By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.
- 1 Tim 2:5 – For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus…
- Jesus had a human name – Jesus (Yahweh saves) Christ (anointed one)
- Jesus had a human genealogy
- Jesus had a mom, dad, brothers, and sisters
- Jesus matured, had human needs (sleep, food, water)
- Jesus had emotions (60X in the Gospels), most frequent is “compassion”. The Church of England’s 39 Articles and Westminster Confession of faith say God is “without body, parts, or passions.”
How could God become a man?
- Matthew 1:22-23 – All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).
- Philippians 2:5–8 – “…Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself…”
- Hebrews 2:17–18 – “He had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.”
What is the secret to Jesus’ success?
- Luke 3:21-22, 4:1 – when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heavens were opened, and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form, like a dove; and a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.” …Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit…