Grace Never Ends…: Galatians 6:11-18 (#13)
- 66 books (39 OT, 27 NT)
- Scripture = “writing”; Bible = “book”; Holy Bible = Holy Book
- Library (history, sermons, letters, songs, architecture, travel diaries, family trees, legal)
- Written over 1500 years, roughly 40 authors, in 3 languages
- Multicultural – writers Asia, Africa, Europe
- 1200’s – chapters added (1189 chapters)
- 1500s’s – verses added (31,173)
OT – ¾ “Old” – Origen (185-254) Jer. 31:31 – papyrus/reeds = before Jesus
NT – ¼ “New” – parchments/animal skins = after Jesus
- High school teacher Bible as Lit – Bible written long after eyewitnesses = time for myths
- College teacher – said same thing
- Then I read the Bible
One Divine Author
- “thus says the Lord” 100’s of times
- Other statements 3,800 times in OT
1 Peter 1:10-12 the prophets who prophesied about the grace that was to be yours searched and inquired carefully, inquiring what person or time the Spirit of Christ in them was indicating when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the subsequent glories. It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you, in the things that have now been announced to you through those who preached the good news to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven, things into which angels long to look.
2 Timothy 3:16 “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.”
Many Human authors
- David, Moses, Joshua, Solomon, Nehemiah, Daniel, Ezekiel, Jeremiah, Isaiah, Habakkuk, Paul, Peter, Luke
- Every Bible book we know divine author, some we know human author
- Jesus named = Moses (Mk. 7:10), Isaiah (Mk. 7:6) David (Mk. 12:36), Daniel (Matt. 24:15)
Ezekiel 24:1-2 In the ninth year, in the tenth month, on the tenth day of the month, the word of the LORD came to me: “Son of man, write down…
Jeremiah 36:4 “Then Jeremiah called Baruch the son of Neriah, and Baruch wrote on a scroll at the dictation of Jeremiah all the words of the Lord that he had spoken to him.
Shepherds vs Wolves
Galatians 1:1-2 Paul, an apostle—not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead— and all the brothers who are with me…
Galatians 6:11 See with what large letters I am writing to you with my own hand.
- Wolves = “false brothers”
- Shepherd = Paul
- We’ve reached the end of Galatians, sermon #13, what’s on Paul’s heart?
Religion vs Cross
Galatians 6:12 It is those who want to make a good showing in the flesh who would force you to be circumcised, and only in order that they may not be persecuted for the cross of Christ. 13 For even those who are circumcised do not themselves keep the law, but they desire to have you circumcised that they may boast in your flesh. 14 But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.
Imposed vs Proposed
Acts 15:1 “Unless you are circumcised…you cannot be saved.”
Inward vs Outward
- Outward emphasis – religion (rules, traditions, legalisms)
- You can have the outward but not the inward
- = man looks at the outward, God looks at the heart
Isaiah 29:13 “people draw near with their mouth and honor me with their lips,
while their hearts are far from me, and their fear of me is a commandment taught by men…”
Mark 7 Jesus applied this verse to religious leaders
Religion vs Cross
Religion (I can fix my problem & boast) vs Cross (I am the problem & boast about Jesus)
What We Care About vs What God Cares About
Galatians 6:15a For neither circumcision counts for anything, nor uncircumcision,
- Are you circumcized? (their single issue voter item)
- Do you speak in tongues?
- Which Bible translation does your pastor preach from?
- How do you educate your children?
- Do you drink alcohol or think it’s a sin?
- What theological system do you think is the best?
- What kind of church do you attend?
I’m encouraged by the changes we’ve seen with people adjusting
Human vs Divine Work
Galatians 6:15b-18 but a new creation. And as for all who walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God. From now on let no one cause me trouble, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit, brothers. Amen.
1. New creation
- OT new heart; NT new creation, new man, born again, born of the Spirit
- Not a perfect you, but a new you
2. Walk with God together
- Grace & I in Germany – no uber, cab, we walked together a lot
3. Live in peace and mercy
Mercy – treat people who offend us the way God treats us as His offenders = Peace
4. Endure hardship in your body (outer)
5. Enjoy grace for your soul (inner)
Soul =music, food, mate, SOS, eyes window soul
- You do not just have a soul, you are a soul
- Your soul is your first priority
- Who you become is more important than what you accomplish
- Your soul cannot be well without Jesus grace through the Holy Spirit