God the Father and God the Son
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
- This Father’s Day God wants to give you the greatest gift to adopt you
- No one is more famous. (books, paintings, songs, BC/AD)
- No one is more infamous. (everyone has an opinion)
- We will let Jesus speak for Himself (8 truths)
#1 Jesus Christ Came Down from Heaven
John 6:38, 41-42 For I have come down from heaven…[they] began to grumble about him because he said, “I…came down from heaven.” They said, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, ‘I came down from heaven’?”
- Jesus – descend not ascend – eternal God
#2 Jesus Christ is More Than Just a Good Man
Mark 10:17-18 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.
- No good people – all sinners
- Jesus alone good, category alone
#3 Jesus Christ is Perfect
John 8:46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me?
- “No one perfect”
- Omission & Commission – Thought, Word, Deed
#4 Jesus Christ is God
John 10:30-33 “Jesus answered… I and the Father are one.” Again the[y]…picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?” “We are not stoning you for any of these…but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”
- Buddha, Krishna, Muhammad, and Ghandi said not God
- Only founder of any major world religion to claim deity
#5 Jesus Christ Performs Miracles
John 10:36b-39 Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’? Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.” Again they tried to seize him, but he escaped their grasp.
- Creator rules creation
#6 Jesus Christ Forgives Sin
Mark 2:5,7-8 When Jesus saw their faith, he said…”Son, your sins are forgiven.”…“Why does this man speak like that? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?” And immediately Jesus, perceiving in his spirit that they thus questioned within themselves, said to them, “Why do you question these things in your hearts?
- Sin against God (Ps. 51:4)
- Only God can forgive (cross)
#7 Jesus Christ Conquers Death
Mark 8:31 Jesus] began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and the chief priests and the scribes and be killed, and after three days rise again.
1. Jesus died (cross, spear, burial)
2. Jesus resurrection recorded shortly after it occurred (1 Cor 15 creed 30’s “eyewitnesses”)
3. Jesus tomb location was well known (Joseph Arimathea, Roman gov’t)
4. Jesus disciples were transformed from cowards to courageous (Thomas, Peter)
5. Jesus appeared to crowds up to 500 people over 40 days (1 Cor. 15)
6. Jesus tomb was not enshrined (50 in area @ time)
7. Jesus followers worshipped Him as God on Sundays
8. Jesus followers practiced baptism
9. Jesus is alive and changing lives to this day (YOU?!)
#8 Jesus is the Way, Truth, and Life
John 14:1–6 “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Troubled heart = life shakes you & you are upset, frustrated, anxious, hurt, or just not ok
There is a Father God over Life & a Heaven after this life
- THE FATHER WOUND
- “FATHER TO THE FATHERLESS” – Ps. 68:5
- Father – invisible immaterial – 10 Comm #2 “no graven image”
- How do we know what Father is like – lives in heaven, invisible?
- Jesus comes as Col. 1:15 “He is the image of the invisible God”
OT – many fathers, God only 15X (national not individual)
- #1 name for God – 65X Matt-Luke; 100X John = 165X
- Abba – no indication used before Jesus of God
On this Father’s Day you need Jesus to bring you to the Father for this life & the next!