GOOD NEWS: What Will Work be like in Heaven?
Genesis 2:2 “on the seventh day God finished his work that he had done, and he rested on the seventh day from all his work that he had done”
- God sets the example of work & rest to keep us healthy
- If God works & rests it must be godly to work and rest
John 4:34 Jesus said…“My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.
- You cannot be healthy without something meaningful to do (Boomers vs Millenials)
- This is why people who retire from life start to die
- This is why after a few-weeks vacation we are ready to get to work
- This is why people are not doing well with the shutdown
-Recovery guys & pastor 15 years
John 5:17 Jesus answered…“My Father is working until now, and I am working.”
- Find where God is working, and join Him in that work
- You get to know God the Father by going to work with your Dad
-Boy construction w/dad. Man planting church w/Father
John 5:36 the works that the Father has given me to accomplish, the very works that I am doing, bear witness about me that the Father has sent me.
- Jesus knew what to do, and what not to do
- Jesus could say no to get to yes (not need or opportunity, only God’s will)
-Jesus work – chores, obey parents, homework, chores, & carpentry (sacred/secular)
Work is Part of Creation, but Now Cursed
Genesis 2:15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work…
- God does not need us, but he invites us to
“Your work is a very sacred matter. God delights in it, and through it He wants to bestow His blessings on you.” Luther
Genesis 3:17-19 cursed is the ground because of you; in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life; thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you…By the sweat of your face…
- Work is much now more difficult, frustrating, and complicated
- Time/Energy/Money – invested productivity; not wasted busyness
Exodus 31:15 Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD.
- Work and rest are part of your worship
- “…to work is to pray.” – Augustine
God Works for You, In You, and Through You
Ephesians 2:8-10 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
- Not saved by your works, but Jesus works
- Not saved by works, but to works
1 Corinthians 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.
- God’s grace = the most powerful & productive force in the universe
Every Christian Works for Jesus
Colossians 3:23-24 Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.
1). Employees at work 2). Servants at church 3). Family members at home
- Grace flows to those who do God’s work in God’s way
- Work is love in action
“…praise of work should be inscribed on all tools, on the forehead and faces that sweat from toiling.” Luther
-My job on the boat middle of the night “no one sees it”
Your Good Works Are Rewarded in Heaven
2 Corinthians 5:10 we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.
- 2 Judgments – believers (Bema) vs unbelievers (White Throne)
Revelation 14:12-13 Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus. And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.” “Blessed indeed,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!”
-Servants, caregivers, teachers, special needs parents, coaches, moms
Revelation 5:10 you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth.
- Luke 19:11-27 Parable of 10 Servants – about Kingdom of Heaven ruling 0,5,10 cities
– This life is your internship for eternity
What Will Work be like in Heaven?
- Hell is an isolated quarantine with no purpose or progress. Heaven is the opposite.
- Some jobs will continue, other jobs will be no more.
- Some people’s hobbies will become jobs.
- People will do work they were made for and find purpose in.
- Your work will not involve the curse and be more efficient and effective.
- You will never run out of time to continue learning, working, and befriending.
- Your work will not be motivated or limited by finances.
- What you build will not be broken.
- The worst day of work in Heaven is better than the best day of work on earth.
- The good works you did not finish in this life will be completed in eternity.