Find Joy Even When You Feel Overwhelmed: Philippians 2:12-2:30
American Psychology Association
- 68% increased fatigue during the holidays
- 61% increased stress
- Travel – expenses – work– events – family – entertaining – shopping – weight
- Perspective – Paul in prison, away from church family, no family
Reasons to Rejoice
2:17-18 I am glad and rejoice with you all. Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me.
3 Reasons to Rejoice
Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
1. God is for you
- 2:12 “beloved”; 2:13“his good pleasure”; 2:15 “children of God”
- this is more of a blessed invitation than a burdensome command
2. God lives in you
- 2:13 “God…works in you, both to will and to work”
OT Regeneration = new heart (Jer. 24:7; Ezek. 36:26-27)
NT Regeneration = new birth (Eph. 2:1; 2:5; Col. 2:13; John 3 Jesus & Nicodemus)
New You. Not perfect, but new & in a perfecting process.
- New Mind
- New Heart
- New Will
- New Power
- New Life
3. God partners with you
“obeyed”; “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling”
- Pastor is gone, their relationship with God is their responsibility
- Debate – what is God responsible for, what are we responsible for?
- Justification (FOR) – Regeneration (IN) – Sanctification (THROUGH)
8 More Reasons to Rejoice
Philippians 2:14 Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. 17 Even if I am to be poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrificial offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with you all. 18 Likewise you also should be glad and rejoice with me.
- You can stop “grumbling” & “disputing”
- You can start being “blameless and innocent”
- You can stop being part of “a crooked and twisted generation”
- You can start being the “children of God without blemish” and “shine as lights
- You can stop living in ways that are “in vain”
- You can start living in a way that you can be “proud” of in a godly way
- You can stop cheerlessness
- You can start cheerfulness
Faithfulness is the Path to Joyfulness
Philippians 2:19 I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I too may be cheered by news of you. 20 For I have no one like him, who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare. 21 For they all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. 22 But you know Timothy’s proven worth, how as a son with a father he has served with me in the gospel. 23 I hope therefore to send him just as soon as I see how it will go with me, 24 and I trust in the Lord that shortly I myself will come also.
- Paul in Lystra (Acts 14:8-20) – beaten, drug out of city, left for dead, returned to preach
- Timothy joined on second visit (Acts 16:1-4)
- Father – son (Paul no son, Timothy no father)
- Timothy was the guy you could fully depend on = faithful
- Translocal Apostolic leadership
Church = Father and family
Enjoyable People Should be Honored
Philippians 2:25 I have thought it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus my brother and fellow worker and fellow soldier, and your messenger and minister to my need, 26 for he has been longing for you all and has been distressed because you heard that he was ill. 27 Indeed he was ill, near to death. But God had mercy on him, and not only on him but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow. 28 I am the more eager to send him, therefore, that you may rejoice at seeing him again, and that I may be less anxious. 29 So receive him in the Lord with all joy, and honor such men, 30 for he nearly died for the work of Christ, risking his life to complete what was lacking in your service to me.
- Sent with support ($) to serve
- Not all money guys are like Judas
- 800-mile journey, 6 weeks of travel, sick for maybe 3 months
- Risked life for Paul
- Brother not father (Church is a family)
- There are some really wonderful folks
- Like a soldier returning home (Vietnam)
- Honoring those on and off the platform (honor/ humble dance)
Honor and Fun in the Father’s House
Isaiah 65:17-19 “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in that which I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem to be a joy, and her people to be a gladness. I will rejoice in Jerusalem and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and the cry of distress.
- Most people wrongly view God (believer vs unbeliever)
- God the Father’s default mood is happiness (“blessed” NT translated happy but in reference to God 1 Tim. 1:11, 6:15).
- God’s happiness is constant, God’s anger/sorrow is not (our behavior not His center)
- God the Father’s home culture is honor/happiness
- We don’t have choose between God and happiness
- We don’t have to make ourselves happy, we can share in God’s happiness
- God wants the culture of His Kingdom Family in our church family and families
- Church family is supposed to be a culture of honor and joy lead by father
- Families in the church should follow this culture of honor and joy lead by a father
- Fathers – you can set a culture of honor and fun (family flourish, friends come)