Find Joy Even When You Don’t Know What’s Next – Philippians 4:8-23 #7
- First weekend in 2020, new year, new decade
- Looking back on last year, how much caught you by surprise?
- We can plan for this year, but that can cause worry and rob us of joy
- Philippians – theme is joy. Author – Paul suffering prison 800 mi away unsure of future.
#1. Love God with your mind this year
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Thoughts are to mental health what food is to physical health
- True – reality (vs controlling the narrative)
- Honorable – worthy of honor (e.g. mother & father)
- Just – righteous or right in God’s sight (vs selfishness)
- Pure – innocent, clean (e.g. sexuality)
- Lovely – pleasurable, enjoyable, beautiful
- Commendable – good character, worthy of imitation
- Media – untrue, dishonorable, unjust, impure, grotesque, shameful
- If you bring your thoughts captive to Jesus, this is your mental health state
- Love God with all your mind
John Milton “A mind is its own place, & in itself/ Can make a heav’n of hell, a hell of a heav’n
Poison your mind – bitterness, filth, lies, critics, things beyond your control
#2. Love God with your obedience this year
Philippians 4:9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
- God’s word should be hidden in our hearts, not just our phones
- Truth is for information that leads to transformation
- That requires obedience
- Learning is for living (not an end in itself, but a means to an end)
- Our world does not lack information. Many don’t need new information. They need habits
- We overestimate what can do in days, underestimate what can do in decades
Deferred maintenance on your car, home, health, finances, marriage, kids
#3. Love God with your contentment this year
Philippians 4:10-13 I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
- God creates contentment, Satan counterfeits with coveting
- The difference between angels ands Satan is contentment vs coveting
- :13 cannot mean we always win, the author is in jail speaking of poverty, must mean that whatever state we find ourselves in, if we are in God’s will, he will sustain us
- Poverty theology vs Prosperity theology
- Jesus was poor, is now rich so it’s not about rich and poor but contentment
#4. Love God with your partnership this year
Philippians 4:14-20 Yet it was kind of you to share my trouble. And you Philippians yourselves know that in the beginning of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church entered into partnership with me in giving and receiving, except you only. Even in Thessalonica you sent me help for my needs once and again. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit. I have received full payment, and more. I am well supplied, having received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen.
- Partner vs Customer – active participation even when not benefit them
- Not a rich church, but a poor church
- No one in Bible comes to worship empty handed
- Tithes – regular
- Offerings – special (1. Missions 2. Building 3. Kids/Students 4. Mercy)
- Prophetic prayer in Florida
- Pastors confirmed, prayed welcomed
- Kids wanted to plant
- Pastor Jimmy’s prophetic word on the building
- Pastor Roberts prophetic word on shepherds and sheep
TTC next @ Year 3
- Valley 5th largest city, fastest growing city/county, #8 least Bible, #1 not generous
- Scottsdale Entertainment District 8-9 million visitors year
- Growing 20% a year, 2019 up every single Sunday
- Next: kids space, imag, sound system/audio
- When 2 services filled, go to 3 am
- When 3 services filled, go to another night and campuses (NW, ASU)
- Daniel, Real Men, Romans, Proverbs
Partner: 1). Involve Team Trinity – 2) Invest (67% online 33% Sun & mail) – 3). Invite
#5. Love God with your words this year
Philippians 4:21 Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brothers who are with me greet you. All the saints greet you, especially those of Caesar’s household. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. forever and ever. Amen.
Saint – God sees you in your finished state & gives grace to get you there
- Over 300X Bible refers to “sinners”
- Only 3X does Bible “possibly refer to XN as “sinners”
- 0X “sin” in Philippians
- Over 200X Bible XN saints/holy/righteous
1. Sin may describe some of your activity, but does not define your entire identity in Christ.
2. You will sin some of the time, but you are a saint all of the time in Christ.
3. Sin is some of what you do, but not the totality of who you are in Christ.
4. There is a big difference between having sin and being sin.
5. Because you have a new identity as saint you can have a new victory over sin in Christ.
6. As a sinner, you may have a dark past. As a saint you have a bright future.
You – build up/not beat up; encourage/not discourage; live giving/ not taking; prophecy blessing
In this final sermon in the “Joy To The World” series, Pastor Mark tells how loving God with your mind, obedience, contentment, partnership, and words will help give you joy going into a new year or new season when you don’t know what’s next.