HUSBAND: Love Your Princess
Christian marriage =1 man and 1 woman in a consummated covenant
NOT gay marriage. NOT polygamy. NOT cohabitation.
Success Sequence slide (Bradford Wilcox)
- Millennials (born 1981-1996) – largest, most diverse, most educated generation
- record 55% having children before marriage
Adam = 1). Education 2). Work 3). Marry then kids
The 4 Laws of Love (pastor Jimmy Evans)
Genesis 2:24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. And the man and his wife were both naked and were not ashamed.
- Moses breaks in for commentary that (Jesus & Paul quote Matt. 19:5; Mk. 10:7-8; Eph. 5:31)
Marriage & Family (see Jimmy Evans the 4 Laws of Love)
- Law of Priority: a man shall leave his father and mother
- Written for us – Adam had no parents
Young Men – independent, self-sufficient (takes a wife – he takes initiative)
Young Women – given marriage
- Leave = physically, financially, practically
- College in our culture is like a half-step
Error 1 – under parent = 18
Error 2 – over parent (control vs influence) =guilt, family pressure, $ manipulation
SINGLE: God/family MARRIED:God/spouse/kids/ext family
=3 kinds of relationships 1. Healthy 2. Unhealthy 3. No relationship
- Law of Pursuit: hold fast/cleave to his wife(passionate energy)
- New Family vs Extended Family (1. dysfunction 2. culture)
- Law of Partnership: become one“echade” (Deut. 6:4)
- ONE – house, bed, bank, church, schedule, name
- Strength is not a problem. Independence is a problem
- Law of Purity: naked and were not ashamed
Sex =Naked w/o shame 1. Sin against you 2. Sin by you 3. Bad teaching
- Standard beauty spouse
- Bible teaches chastity before marriage, fidelity in marriage. (fireplace)
- This is God’s perfect design before the fall & your culture
- A couple that obeys God’s Word has a 100% guaranteed successful marriage
- World: We have inverted this process 3. one flesh 2. live together 1. leave father/mother
If Your Wife is Unwell
Ephesians 5:25-28Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
- Unwell – addiction, trauma, bitterness, domineering, unhealthy – get her help
Jesus loves us enough to take us as we are.
Jesus loves us to much to leave us as we are.
3 Kinds of Marriages
- Shoulder to shoulder
- Back to back
- Face to Face
Song of Songs 5:16 (NLT) my lover, my friend.
- If you had to pick one word to describe your parents relationship what would it be? Why?
- What part of the talk did the Holy Spirit highlight for you?
- How can we pray for you?