A Tale of Two Mothers: Galatians 4:19-31
· Thank mothers for their ministry
· If anyone is in “full time” ministry it is a mother
· Past 2 yrs especially difficult for moms (schools closed, sports & activities canceled)
Summary of Genesis 16
- God saved Abraham & Sarah, called to leave family/land by faith, for land & son
- Waited 10 years, Abraham is 85, Sarah is 75
- Impatience – Sarah’s solution Hagar = Ishmael
- Hagar & Ishmael
- Sarah & Isaac (waited 25 years
Division = 2 visions – Ishmael 12 sons = father Arabs)
Isaac 12 tribes = physical father Jews, spiritual father XN’s)
A Tale of Two Mothers
Galatians 4:19, 21-25 my little children, for whom I am again in the anguish of childbirth until Christ is formed in you! Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not listen to the law? For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by a slave woman and one by a free woman. But the son of the slave was born according to the flesh, while the son of the free woman was born through promise. Now this may be interpreted allegorically: these women are two covenants. One is from Mount Sinai, bearing children for slavery; she is Hagar. Now Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia; she corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children.
· Allegory – literal/allegorical; primary/secondary meaning – only time in NT
· Hagar = from Egypt. In Egypt God’s people were not free to worship for generations. = The warning is against going back to Egypt
Born of the flesh Born again of the Spirit
Earthly Jerusalem Heavenly Jerusalem
Cast out Never cast out
No inheritance Inheritance
2 Kinds of Home Environments
Galatians 4:26-31 But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother. For it is written [Isaiah 54:1], “Rejoice, O barren one who does not bear; break forth and cry aloud, you who are not in labor! For the children of the desolate one will be more than those of the one who has a husband.” Now you, brothers, like Isaac, are children of promise. But just as at that time he who was born according to the flesh persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, so also it is now. But what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the slave woman and her son, for the son of the slave woman shall not inherit with the son of the free woman.” So, brothers, we are not children of the slave but of the free woman.
1. Law (Ishmael came first) – I work – painful like childbirth (my sin)
2. Grace (Isaac replaced Ishmael) – God works 1. for 2. in 3. through (HOLY SPIRIT)
God creates environment for everything He makes. Birds/air. Fish/water.
-Parents – Grace Based Leadership (for parent & child)
Hagar: Law-based homes vs Sarah: Grace-based homes
Rules are the priority Relationship is the priority
Parental control Parental influence
Motivated by fear Motivated by faith
No distinction sins and mistakes Distinguish sins and mistakes
Parents add to God’s laws God has laws, parents have rules
Focus is external Focus is internal
Pressure to work for love Pleasure to work from love
I work for God God works for, in, and through me
Little laughter (Ishmael) Lots of laughter (Isaac)
3 Kinds of Parents
1. Law (Hagar) – fearful, punishment/reward = serious environment (mom left Trinity)
2. Grace (Sarah) – peaceful, loving, healthy fun environment (mom tears week)
3. Law & Grace (Hagar & Sarah) – (sometimes each parent) = divided, confusing,
You can either
- Be your parents
- Be the opposite of your parents
- Learn from your parents
- Parents want to keep children from pain/harm = good. But we can be their cause.
1. Wound unhealed 2. Inner vow 3. Outer legalism
=Beware of legalistic parenting advice & pushy parents (principles & methods)
- No parent is perfect
- There is grace from your Father for you as His child
- It’s never too late to reset your relationship w/God & your kids
- Did you begin as more law based or grace based in parenting?
- What helped you make adjustments?
- What is the big challenge when the kids are babies?
- What is the big challenge when the kids are toddlers?
- What is the big challenger when the kids are teens?
- What is the big challenge when the kids are differentiating & launching?
- What is the big challenge when the kids are adults?