5 Things Real Men Take Seriously: Daniel 5
Generational Legacy Matters
- Nebuchadnezzar – built an empire, possibly got saved end ch 4
- Successor killed by brother
- Next successor died in battle
- Son Nabonidus away, grandson Belshezzar
A). They did not bless the world B). Their kingdom fell due to mismanagement
Satan Has Not Changed the Menu in 2600 years
Drunken naughty party 1000 “lords” + wives + concubines = 15,000
Palace excavated, size main section White House
- Deviancy – wives & concubines together (vs Esther)
- Drunkenness – drank to praise gods gold/silver/bronze/iron/wood/stone
- Dishonor – get the gold/silver vessels (5,000 Ezra 1:11; Daniel 1:2)
You are a holy vessel of God (2 Tim 2:20-21) – not for deviancy & drunkenness
Don’t Ignore the Obvious
150 years prior Isaiah 13:1,17-19 “The oracle concerning Babylon… Behold, I am stirring up the Medes against them, who have no regard for silver and do not delight in gold. Their bows will slaughter the young men; they will have no mercy on the fruit of the womb; their eyes will not pity children. And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the splendor and pomp of the Chaldeans, will be like Sodom and Gomorrah when God overthrew them… its time is close at hand and its days will not be prolonged
50 years prior –Jeremiah 27:4-7 ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel…Now I have given all these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon, my servant, and I have given him also the beasts of the field to serve him. All the nations shall serve him and his son and his grandson, until the time of his own land comes. Then many nations and great kings shall make him their slave.
60 years prior – Prophecy of Daniel in chapter 2 came to pass (60 years prior)
- Outside the gates is the Medo-Persian army
- Fortified & felt secure (WHAT DO MEN USE AS FORTIFICATIONS?)
You Don’t Know How Much Time You Have
- Finger appeared wrote on the wall
- Daniel interpreted, “it’s over”
- Herodutus reports October 11, 539 drained Euprates, took the city/nation
We are shocked when someone/something comes to an end (Twin Towers, Michael Jackson, Kobe Bryant)
Just Because You’re Old Doesn’t Mean You’re Done
- Daniel is in his 80’s (70 years from ch. 1)
- Queen Mother remembers him – “Spirit of God”
Discussion and Prayer
- Which kids or grandkids need your prayer and help most?
- What does Satan put on your menu?
- Is there anything obvious warning from God you need to heed?
- Which guy(s) do we need to pray to accept your invitation to join us?
- How can we pray with/for you today?
- Do you need a Bible?