Vintage Faith: The Present Remnant (Romans 11:11-24)
-Book in process. A. Traditional theory – how to build something.
B. Critical theory – how to break something. Counterfeit-gospel overtaken all disciplines
1). Accuser (Rev. 12:10) 2. anti-Christ (oppose & replace)
CULTURE = Everyone critic. No gratitude inherited. Complaint, victim, entitled.
CHURCH = apostasy/woke
Romans 11 = look back at what God did for & through Jewish people
-Winston Churchill February 8, 1920 – The Jews are the most remarkable race. Some people like Jews & some do not, but no thoughtful man can doubt the fact that they are beyond all question the most formidable & the most remarkable race which has ever appeared in the world.
-History of antisemitism – Egypt, Amorites, Assyria, Babylon, Persia, Germany
– Over 300 yrs ago King Louis XIV France asked French philosopher Blaise Pascal to give him proof of the existence of miracles. “Why, the Jews, your Majesty-the Jews.”
-Blessed to be a blessing to the nations
At least 208 Jews & people of ½ or ¾ Jewish ancestry have been awarded the Nobel Prize, accounting for 22% of all individual recipients worldwide between 1901 and 2020, & constituting 36% of all US recipients during the same period. In the scientific research fields of Chemistry, Economics, Physics, & Physiology/Medicine, the corresponding world and US percentages are 26% and 38%, respectively. Among women laureates in the four research fields, the Jewish percentages (world and US) are 29% & 43%, respectively. Of organizations awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, 20% were founded principally by Jews or by people of half-Jewish descent. Since the turn of the century (i.e., from the year 2000 onward), Jews have been awarded 25% of all Nobel Prizes and 27% of those in the scientific research fields. (Jews currently make up approximately 0.2% of the world’s population and 2% of the US population.)
2. No worship of a king as God – Egypt, Babylon, Greece, Rome, North Korea
3. Rule of law – 10 Commandments (stealing, murder, false testimony)
4. Science – Creation good & orderly
5. Humanity equally created & fallen (vs evolution)
6. Marriage & family
- Abraham – Israel – Prophets/Priests/Kings – OT – Messianic Prophecy – Jesus
- Nearly all 1st XN’s Jews met “temple courts” (Acts 2:46) – Jewish holidays & life
- XN’s considered a minority sect w/in Judaism
Why Don’t Jews Love Jesus?
Romans 11:11-24 11 So I ask, did they stumble in order that they might fall? By no means! Rather, through their trespass salvation has come to the Gentiles, so as to make Israel jealous. 12 Now if their trespass means riches for the world, and if their failure means riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their full inclusion mean! 13 Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry 14 in order somehow to make my fellow Jews jealous, and thus save some of them. 15 For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead?
- Many Jews stumbled/tripped over Jesus (religion/tradition. Atheists – ignore Jesus)
- Many Gentiles did not stumble over Jesus (like Abraham)
- Jews will become jealous of the Gentiles
- Jews will get back up & have revival from the current remnant of Jewish believers
-Jealousy – take someone for granted so long you no longer appreciate them
-Blended. Biological kids have it great but aren’t grateful. Adoptive kids enthusiastic (Hebrew)
How Did God Graft Us Into Israel?
Romans 11:16 If the dough offered as first fruits is holy, so is the whole lump, and if the root is holy, so are the branches. 17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, although a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing root of the olive tree, 18 do not be arrogant toward the branches. If you are, remember it is not you who support the root, but the root that supports you. 19 Then you will say, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 That is true. They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but fear.
Firstfruits – the first and the best.
- There was a dough offering Num 15:20-21
- No one comes to worship empty-handed in the Bible
- Jews are the firstfruits of Christianity (Jews then Gentiles)
1. Wild – worthless
2. Cultivated – among #1 crops, deep roots, 300-400 yrs, wild olive trees = worthless
Our faith like a tree planted w/God’s promise to Abraham, rooted in patriarchs, sprouted nation of Israel, brought Scriptures & Jesus Christ. Non-Jewish Gentiles were grafted into this giant towering tree of Jewish faith, Gentiles quickly a giant fruitful branch.
1. 7 million living in Israel – billions of Christians worshipping the God of Abraham
2. Paul is a Jewish apostle to the Gentiles – the bridge from the past to the future
3. Paul apostle Gentiles. Peter apostle Jews (Jerusalem) – diff’t calling same mission
4. There is a remnant in Israel today that loves Jesus – Apostolic council
-God works at different paces in different places to graft in nations that bear fruit
-PHOTO OF THE GRAFTED OLIVE BRANCH/TREE
What is Our Warning from Israel?
Romans 11:21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. 22 Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off. 23 And even they, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God has the power to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and grafted, contrary to nature, into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, the natural branches, be grafted back into their own olive tree.
1. Many Jews were blessed by God for generations. Boredom. Entitlement.
2. Kind is either A. Kind/Grafted or B. Severe/Cut = you choose
3. Perseverance of the saints “continue in his kindness”
- VS Apostasy
- God can graft in Jewish people who have been cut off from faith just like Gentiles
Rom. 11 – replacement theology? no future for the Jewish people
- God is not obligated to anyone – no place for a sense of entitlement (vs grace)
- Like all relationships, your relationship with God is growing or dying
- Many Americans & other nations are the same – we’ve heard a lot and care little
- God brings in new believers to wake the old one’s up