Rebels with A Cause: Stop Your Selfishness? (Romans 13:8-14)
- Our biggest threat to us is us
- The biggest problem for us is us
- The greatest threat to our marriage and family is us
- God saved us not just from Satan, sin death, hell, & wrath but saved us from us & saved others from us
The War Between Love and Selfishness
Romans 13:7 Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed. 8 Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Jesus & the Law
· Jesus fulfilled the law
· Jesus distinguished spirit of law vs letter of law = this section is spirit law
Bible doesn’t forbid all debt -Jesus Matt 5:42 “not refuse the one who would borrow from you.”
- Tithe (Forbes & WalletHub AZ least charitable state US)
- Offerings (beyond local church, help others in need)
- Debt (car, college, credit card. Women 21-34 highest % cc debt)
= live on less than you make, & save $ for emergencies, pay cash
=pay your debts (rent/mortg, biz capital loan, college loan)
= US debt $28 trillion $85,000 for every person
- Under authority
- When authority present & absent (speaking @ events)
Love – the 1 debt can never be fully paid
· Jesus summarized OT (Matt. 22:37-39) 1. Love God 2. Love people
· Greek: 1). Phileo = friendship 2). Eros = romantic 3). Agape = decision will/highest
· #1 thing that would change everything for everyone
- Divorce, murder, wars, and 99% of what’s on the internet would end
- Love starts w/spouse & family as nearest neighbor
· You either use people (selfish & take), or love people (serve & give)
· Love and sin cannot coexist. The goal is to not sin, but to love God & others.
Kids were little – 1. Be safe 2. Have fun 3. Love one another
The War Between Spirit and Flesh
Romans 13: 9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.11 Besides this you know the time, that the hour has come for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed. 12 The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy.
· We care too much about yrs, months, days, hours, minutes & too little for epochs
· Some Christians are asleep & need to wake up because our enemies are awake
· Human history is in the darkness of night, but the Light of the world is coming
· Your time to love & obey is short & getting shorter every day
- Flesh = emotional & impulsive
o Triggered by past hurt
o Inner vow violated
- Spirit = measured & intentional (rear & front brain)
- Provision = plan against flesh = impulsive short-sighted no delayed gratification
Gas station – 2 hoses (gas & water) & motor only built to run on 1
The 10 Commandment Killers
Darkness (more evil) /Flesh – Light (more exposure)/Spirit
1. Adultery – dishonor marriage covenant (hands/heart) – honor marriage covenant
2. Murder – taking innocent life (heart murder) – pro-life
3. Stealing – the illegal taking property -sharing
4. Coveting – – contentment
5. Orgies/Revelry/Carousing – public nuisance -public blessing
6. Drunkenness – not in moderation -self-control
7. Sexual immorality – all forbidden sex -honor marriage
8. Debauchery – wicked life w/o shame -repentance
9. Dissension – diving people into factions -uniting people like family
10. Jealousy – tear others down -build others up
HELL UP HEAVEN DOWN
What is your effect on people? Incite spirit or flesh?
Who do you give your best time & energy to?
Generational Curse – parents choose bitterness & flesh, pour into kids/grandkids
The Best Version of You
Romans 13:14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.
T.V. chat – “How do u avoid sin?” – “I don’t know, I think about & spend time w/Jesus”
Who is Jesus Christ?
1. Lord (authority) 2. Jesus (savior from sin) 3. Christ (anointed HS)
Who are you in Jesus Christ?
- We take off dirty clothes & put on clean clothes for our body
- Do the same for our soul
Clothing – 1. Graduation 2. Uniform (police, fire, soldier) 3. Wedding
Take off your condemnation, put on His salvation!
Take off your old life, put on His new life!
Take off your guilt, put on His forgiveness!
Take off your filth, put on His righteousness