Song of Solomon 7:11-8:7
- Sabbath – created by God as a grace not a gift
- Do whatever is life-giving, replenishing, makes you a healthier Christian, spouse, parent, etc.
- Couples often Sabbath differently & need to serve one another
- Get breaks/fun on the calendar and in the budget (sync meeting)
- Daily Sabbath
- Weekly Sabbath & date
- Monthly or quarterly Sabbath break
- Vacations & holidays as your family (not just extended family)
7:11-13 Come, my beloved, let us go to the countryside, let us spend the night in the villages. Let us go early to the vineyards to see if the vines have budded, if their blossoms have opened, and if the pomegranates are in bloom— there I will give you my love. The mandrakes send out their fragrance, and at our door is every delicacy, both new and old, that I have stored up for you, my beloved.
8:1-4 If only you were to me like a brother, who was nursed at my mother’s breasts! Then, if I found you outside, I would kiss you, and no one would despise me. I would lead you and bring you to my mother’s house— she who has taught me. I would give you spiced wine to drink, the nectar of my pomegranates. His left arm is under my head and his right arm embraces me. Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.
8:5 Who is this coming up from the wilderness leaning on her beloved?
8:6 Under the apple tree I roused you; there your mother conceived you, there she who was in labor gave you birth. Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot sweep it away. If one were to give all the wealth of one’s house for love, it would be utterly scorned.
Vacation trip Together
- Countryside – time away together
- Springtime in life & love
- Sexually “old & new” – A Celebration of Sex by Douglas Rosenau
- Public people – she wishes they could be more affectionate in public (like brother/sister)
- Non-sexual touch “his left arm is under my head, and his right arm embraces me”
- Reminiscing about childhood, when they met, first date, & courting under “apple tree” (old photos, letters, videos, keepsakes, etc.)
- Personal (seal on 1 heart = most valued possession)
- Legal ownership – conduct business – like a notary
- Flame from God not from us = Scripture commands us to love)
- Unity candle
- Protective (“arm”)
- Powerful (“strong as death” – victorious, permanent)
- Possessive (“jealousy”)
- Priceless (“wealth” – you can buy sex, not love)
- Perseveres (“cannot quench love” “cannot sweep it away” – yr. 7 divorce, 9-14 unselfish)
4 excuses for not taking a break
- We don’t need it.
- We do not have time.
- We have children.
- We cannot afford it. (mileage, gift cards, house swap, etc.)
Schedule a time to have a private intimate conversation about your sexual menu and what are your all-time favorites to keep on the menu, things to take off the menu, and specials to try and see if they should be added to the menu?