28 Signs of the Ahab Spirit
Ahab & Jezebel (1 Ki. 16-2 Ki 2) – A. people who died empowered by B. spirits live on
1. Possessed – counterfeit Spirit-filled. Powerful. Multiple Personality Disorder
2. Oppressed – Elijah ran 100 miles wanted to die, exhausted, foggy, dysregulated
3. Tendencies – personality (shy/passive), bad teaching, family system, temp (Obad.)
- A man or woman can have either Ahab or Jezebel spirit
= Ahab and Jezebel spirits feed off one another.
7 Things Ahabs’ Love
Tolerates/Passive – deriving “from Old French passif ‘suffering, undergoing hardship’…and directly from Latin passivus ‘capable of feeling or suffering,’ and…pati ‘to suffer’”. = allows suffering
- Avoid difficulty. Hope others take care of them
- Often loved – never say no, no conflict
1. Fear – Ahab hid in castle avoided war/conflict
spirit of fear, fear of man, short-range thinking, opposite faith
2. Entitlement – King Ahab was spoiled his entire royal life, killed Naboth for land
3. Victimhood – Elijah “troubler” =Always victim. Never villain.
4. Coddling – Ahab was like a boy, Jezebel was like his mother (marry a mother)
Rubs back while he mopes in bed, kills Naboth, steals land.
5. Emotionalism – An Ahab spirit loves emotionally manipulating others. Ahab is the King of Israel, commands an army, and rules a nation from a throne in a castle. He is also known to sulk, whine, throw fits, and act like a toddler
6. Flattery – insecure/passive = control/manipulate by flattery
In bed sulking “Jezebel, his wife, said to him, Thou art of great authority, and thou governest well” (1 Kings 21:7, WYC).
7. Perversion – An Ahab spirit love sexual perversion. Ancient porn art.
Revelation 2 “seducing…sexual immorality and [adultery]…”
21 Things Ahab’s Avoid
1. Headship – allow least healthy people to lead @ home, work, church
2. Conflict – No record entire life of ever having healthy and necessary conflict with his demon-possessed, murderous, lying wife, only Elijah when confronted. Victim
3. Overt living – covert not overt person. Never comes clean and is caught by God and confronted by Elijah. Judas
4. Leading at Home – generations horrible husbands and fathers.
5. Learning – argued w/Elijah, never learned anything
6. Healthy spirituality – very spiritual. They practice witchcraft, divination, fund demonic cultic ministry, and are surrounded by idols. Love church (Rev. 2)
7. Leading at Work – Jezebel makes decisions, leads nation, rules & reigns.
8. Picking a Church
9. Joy – emotional person- fearful, hiding, yelling, crying, sulking. 0 joy
10. Difficult Decisions – Ahab defers to Jezebel & false prophets saying what he wants
11. Sacrifice – war – he dressed in hiding unlike Jehoshaphat who in royal robes
12. Generosity – 0 giving. Lots of taking – including Naboth’s field – but no giving.
13. Correction – hates being confronted and rebuked (Elijah did). 0 repentance
14. Caring – only time we see him emotional is when he’s being selfish.
15. Dirty Work –Ahab uses Jezebel to do the dirty work =kills prophets, closes schools, murders Naboth, steals his land, & puts out the death sentence on Elijah.
16. Family – multi-generational cursed evil family. God warned of sons death = nothing
17. Doing Hard Things – soft guy living a soft life. 850 false prophets fight, not him.
18. Rejection – insecurity. codependent marriage
19. Discomfort – generations of kingly luxury. Loves pleasure/ease/comfort
20. Initiative – passive, reactive, father & wife & God made all decisions
21. Reality – in mind – good, successful, victim
- Ahab – Passive opens door to
- Jezebel – Controlling (next week)
- Jesus – King & exact opposite of Ahab
Discussion and Prayer
- What were your mom and dad like (passive like Ahab, controlling like Jezebel, or assertive like Elijah?)
- What are you (and your spouse if married) like (passive like Ahab, controlling like Jezebel, or assertive like Elijah?) What changes do you need to seek in your life and/or family?
- How can we pray for you?