16 Oct 10 Forbidden Sexual Acts in the Bible
This week, our daily devotions will focus on Romans 1:18-32 where the theme of God’s wrath is spoken of in relation to the idolatry of sexual sin, including the clearest prohibition against homosexuality and only mention of lesbianism in the entire Bible. Before we do, it is important to make note of all the sexual acts forbidden in the Bible.
- Fornication (Gen. 38:24; cf. Lev. 21:9; Deut. 22:21; 1 Cor. 6:18, 7:2; Heb. 13:4).
- Adultery (Ex. 20:14; Deut. 5:18; Prov. 6:32; Matt. 5:27-32, 15:19; 1 Cor. 6:9-11).
- Polygamy (Gen. 2:1-8 cf. Matt. 19:4-6; Gen. 4:19-24; 1 Ki. 11:1-9; 1 Tim. 3:2,12)
- Rape (Gen. 34:1-31; Jdg. 19:1-30, 2 Sam. 13:11-14)
- Incest (Lev. 18, 20, 27).
- Homosexuality (Lev. 18:22, 20:13; Rom. 1:26-27; 1 Cor. 6:9)
- Bestiality (Ex. 22:19; Lev. 20:15-16; Deut. 27:21)
- Prostitution (Lev. 19:29, 21:9; 1 Cor. 6:16).
- Sexual Immorality [“porneia” referring to numerous sexual sins including porrnography] (Matt. 19:9; 1 Cor. 6:13, 6:18; Eph. 5:3; 1 Thess. 4:3)
- Pagan sexual activity (Ex. 32; Is. 57:7-8; Hosea 4:12-14; Eph. 5:5; Col. 3:5)
As we read this list, the truth is we are all guilty of sexual sins in varying ways and to varying degrees. I was guilty of the first category before becoming a Christian and repenting of my sin by the Spirit’s power. All of us has at some point violated the ninth category with lustful thoughts about someone other than our spouse. The point is not to excuse the sins of others because of our guilt, but instead to show that only Jesus Christ is without any sexual sin in His heart or hands, and the rest of us need his forgiveness, healing, and power to live as God created us to.
Which items on this list are you guilty of?
To find the free Romans study guide for individuals and small groups, hear Pastor Mark’s entire sermon series on Romans, or find a free mountain of Bible teaching visit realfaith.com or download the Real Faith app.