27 Aug 25 Prophecies That Prove the Bible is True: Part 3
2 Peter 1:20-21 – …no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
As we continue our study of Jesus’ fulfillment of specific Old Testament prophecies revealed by the Holy Spirit, we will study three prophecies that happened when Jesus was so young that He could not have made these things happen by His own choosing.
- 700 B.C. – Jesus’ family fleeing to Egypt
- Hosea 11:1 – “When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.”
- Fulfillment:“Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, ‘Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you, for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.’ And he rose and took the child and his mother by night and departed to Egypt and remained there until the death of Herod. This was to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet, ‘Out of Egypt I called my son’” (Matthew 2:13–15)
- 400 B.C. – Jesus entering the Temple
- Malachi 3:1 – “See, I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you desire, will come,” says the LORD Almighty.
- NOTE: The Temple was destroyed in 70 A.D. so this has to be a past event
- Fulfillment:“Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. And he came in the Spirit into the temple, and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the Law . . .” (Luke 2:25–27)
- 700 B.C. – Jesus’ way prepared by John the Baptist
- Isaiah 40:3 – A voice of one calling: “In the desert prepare the way for the LORD; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God.”
- Fulfillment:“In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea, ‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah when he said, ‘The voice of one crying in the wilderness: “Prepare the way of the Lord; make his paths straight”’” (Matthew 3:1–3)
To download the free e-book Power Under Pressure which is a study in 2 Peter for individuals, groups, and families from Pastor Mark click HERE. To listen to Pastor Mark’s 4 sermons on 2 Peter preached in the summer of 2020, visit realfaith.com. These and other resources are made possible by our ministry partners who support Real Faith as a Bible teaching ministry of Mark Driscoll Ministries to whom we say THANK YOU!