More Grace. Less Grief. 1 Thessalonians 5:12-28
-Israel – size/pop NJ -War 50 yrs -lbrink of WWIII -?2nd Coming Jesus (Ezek 38-39) QR CODE
- 1 Thess. Theme – Jesus 2nd Coming (1:10, 2:19, 3:13, 4:15-16, 5:2, 5:23)
- Next week – 2 Thess. Man Lawlessness. Heaven/Hell. Last Days
- When? They thought 2000 yrs ago – wrote ? to Paul
-Division (colleges, Mich. HS) -Urban Ground War -Open Border = “labor pains”
=Emotional Systems share anxiety/joy. A). CHRONIC B). ACUTE
- Return to Joy (you)
1 Thess 1:4–6 we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction…you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit…
Made for joy. Return to joy. CARE vs CARRY
- Find your tribe (us)
“Being lonely has been found to have the same public health effect as smoking 15 cigarettes per day…just 22 percent of church goers are considered lonely, which is a much lower level of loneliness than the general population.”
1. People 2. Places 3. Things
-Dr. check up on body -Scripture check up on soul
=Any face or name = possible ministry assignment
1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work.
- Respect godly leaders “over” who lead & feed you in love.
1 Thessalonians 5:13 Be at peace among yourselves.
- Repent & Forgive quickly = or bitterness & factions
1 Thessalonians 5:14 And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle…
- Irresponsible & Overly responsible
1 Thessalonians 5:14 encourage the fainthearted…
- Broken – Timid – Scared = daily text
1 Thessalonians 5:14 help the weak,
- immature, addicted, discouraged, or broken = isolated
1 Thessalonians 5:14 be patient with them all.
- we all have our faults/flaws/failures work in progress. GOD PATIENT
1 Thessalonians 5:15 See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone.
- Bitterness & vengeance. God can & will deal with them.
- Treat others the way Jesus treats you, not the way they great you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16 Rejoice always…
- 2 train tracks
1 Thessalonians 5:17 pray without ceasing,
- Conversational Lifestyle
Talk issue (ergotrophic takes energy) vs Prayer (trophotrophic gives energy)
Brain wave testing – talk = anxiety; prayer = peace
1 Thessalonians 5:18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
God is not punishing you but rather preparing you for the next season of life.
- What are you learning? 2. Who are you becoming?
1 Thessalonians 5:19 Do not quench the Spirit.
1. Tradition 2. Legalism 3. Bad theology 4. Fear /control 5. Unrepentance 6. Unbelief
Eph. 4:30 “grieve = “to cause severe mental or emotional distress…sadness”
1 Thessalonians 5:20 Do not despise prophecies,
From God’s servants (a verse, burden) & END TIMES (1 Th every chapter = encourage)
1 Thessalonians 5:21 but test everything; hold fast what is good.
- Naïve 2. Jaded 3. Discerning
1 Thessalonians 5:22-24 Abstain from every form of evil. Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.
- secret sins, tolerate, make excuses, manage
1 Thessalonians 5:25 Brothers, pray for us.
- Pray for your pastors and church leaders
1 Thessalonians 5:26 Greet all the brothers with a holy kiss.
- Principle vs Method = treat one another with love like a family
- tap bro hug
1 Thessalonians 5:27 I put you under oath before the Lord to have this letter read to all the brothers.
- Bible = center of church meetings
- 66 books Bible, today finish 35th (+ portions 5 books) 2 Thessalonians next week
1 Thessalonians 5:28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
- God’s grace gets the last word
- There’s always grace for you
- You get the grace you need at the moment you need it! Manna
- Some give grace to everyone but self
Ask God for the grace you need today!