More working. Less whining. 2 Thessalonians 3:6-18 |
=Finish 36th book Bible, after Thanksgiving starting Leave & Cleave
Last Days/End Times – before 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ
1:10 wait for his Son from heaven…Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.
2:19 our hope or joy or crown…before our Lord Jesus at his coming…
3:13…the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints.
4:15-16 …the coming of the Lord…the Lord himself will descend from heaven…
5:2 the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.
5:23 the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ
1:8 when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with his mighty angels
1:10 when he comes on that day to be glorified
2:1 the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ
2:8 the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming.
=What do we do until Jesus returns? Make plans. Get to work. 2 Thess. 3
2 Thessalonians 3:6 Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us.
Idle brother = not working (lazy, entitled)
- Become a thief/criminal
- Massive debt (personal/national)
- Mooch mom/girlfriend
- Become socialist
- Church take advantage kind people & caregivers
Today over 7 million…men of ‘prime working age’ [25-54] are neither working nor looking for work. And now…the ‘men without work’ syndrome seems to be spreading…”
Jesus Christ “we command you…in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ”
Gen. 1-2 – God worked 6 days, rested 1 day “created” same OT word people @ job
Gen. 2:15 “The Lord God tok the man & put him in the garden of Eden to work…”
-Work – paid & unpaid (motherhood, volunteering)
=No sacred/secular – politics, tent making, medicine trades, military, real estate, etc.
Jesus Christ – Work is Worship
- Ministry 3 yrs – sermons, miracles, demons, traveling, attacks
- Carpentry 30 yrs – 90% God’s life on earth was not doing “ministry”
- Christ worked. You cannot be like Christ if you don’t work.
=Protestants 1). Prot. Work Ethic (soc Max Weber) 2). Kids chores 3). Volunteer Church
1 Timothy 5:8 if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
Young Men – “strong” – directed toward 1. Godliness 2. Marriage 3. Fatherhood
2 Thessalonians 3:7 For you yourselves know how you ought to imitate us, because we were not idle when we were with you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s bread without paying for it, but with toil and labor we worked night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you. 9 It was not because we do not have that right, but to give you in ourselves an example to imitate. 10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat. 11 For we hear that some among you walk in idleness, not busy at work, but busybodies. 12 Now such persons we command and encourage in the Lord Jesus Christ to do their work quietly and to earn their own living. 13 As for you, brothers, do not grow weary in doing good. 14 If anyone does not obey what we say in this letter, take note of that person, and have nothing to do with him, that he may be ashamed. 15 Do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.
10 Commands for Christians.
1. Christians should set an example and be able to say, “imitate us”?
2. Pay your way, “we [didn’t] eat anyone’s bread without paying for it”.
3. Christians should work had and be able to say, “we were not idle”, “we worked night and day”.
4. Don’t act like social justice warriors, instead “work quietly and…earn..[your] own living.”
5. Don’t “be a burden” by taking, but be a blessing by giving.
6. Lazy people will get motivated by hunger, “If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.”
7. Be busy, don’t be an “idle” “busybody”.
8. Set some boundaries “warn him as a brother”, and burn some bridges “have nothing to do with him”.
9. Lazy and entitled Christians should be “ashamed”.
10. Keep going and “do not grow weary in doing good.”
2 Thessalonians 3:16 Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all. 17 I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand. This is the sign of genuineness in every letter of mine; it is the way I write. 18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.
“The Lord” is “with you” & brings
- Grace = You should be making plans to get stuff done. We are!
END OF YEAR UPDATE
2024 Trinity Church Update!
- Trinity Turned 7!
- -SOS (Real Romance), -Elijah 1-2 Kings, -Jude, -1-2 Thess, = Leave/Cleave
- Attendance – roughly doubled
- Baptisms 328 (200 this fall); 1000th on 7th bday
- Kids/Students % up – younger families (up to 600 minors a weekend)
- Online reach – over ½ billion
Rebuilding Home Update
Phase 1 is complete and paid for (park/kids/infrastructure). The permanent sign is the last item.
Phase 2 : Kids
- New Fencing, expansion, and sport court is complete.
- The splash pad will be built early next year, either before or after Easter depending on when the permit is hand, but for sure before the summer heat.
- Power upgrade – 52-week lead time, 40 weeks into that.
- We upgraded all of our IT so it is safer and more reliable.
- Next we are upgrading our broadcast system.
Phase 4: We paid down debt and opened a savings account at a 4% interest.
Rebuilding Home Update:
- Given $3.6 million
- Pledged and not yet given $750,000
- Not pledged or given $250,000
= $1 million to completion
3 Things you can do
- Give – attendance up 100%; giving up 25%
EOY Rebuilding Home Slide $2.5 million year end
Trinitychurch.com “give” – recurring; tax deductible